post dive ogb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've gone on web sites with this topic. I've been trying to find out about the hzards to those swimming or diving in areas that are contaminated with the red tide. I haven't had any conslusive evidents that this red tide is dangerous for us or not. But one of the sites did say that there hasn't been a death from red tide since the 70's.

That is becuase when there is a red tide, basically everything to do with shell fishing is shut down alonbg the infected area. My girl friend and her family are in the shell fish business. Today they actually got some clams that had been through the processing plant, so these should be ok.

Many clam businesses in this area do get clams from other states, such as New York, Maryland, Washington State ect.

I myself won't hesitate to go diving, becuase we as humans are built a little different then a clam is. Red tide basically affects, clams,mussles cayhoggs,oysters. So lobsters and other fish are safe.

Red tide in some form does happen in the spring and after a big rain fall, then all of the sudden you have a lot of sun mixing with the fresh water and ocean water which cuses the algea to bloom. The last big red tide here was about 12- 15 years ago. It almost shut down the shell fish industry. My girl friend and her ex husband actually had to take out a small business loan so that they can expand their business into other areas such as lobsters and other sea food stuffs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom