Post Septoplasty/ Rhinoplasty Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctock993

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did a search and the limited threads are all 3-5+ years old, so I was wondering if there was any "new" information on the topic.

I'm scheduled for a septo/rhinoplasty at the the end of October and the surgeon wants "at least" 3 months recovery before I go diving. This is a pretty elaborate reconstruction - I've been living with severely twisted septum since I was 9yo - face vs. ice skating rink. He's going to be taking rib cartilage and rebuilding the whole septum. In addition, there will be several breaks in my nasal bones to straighten.

Should I just "forget" about getting in the water in 2017 completely?
I've signed up for a trip in March (photographing Great Hammerheads in Bimini), but have no deposit on a highly desired trip, so will be easy to cancel my participation.
I was possibly hoping for a trip July or later.

Hi doc, there isn't really any new information. Go by your physician's recommendation. You want to be fully healed not just so that the swelling is gone but also so that the structure of your nose can hold up to the pressure exerted on your mask. For what it's worth, I've had two and gone back to diving in the military after both.

Best regards,
DDM

I needed 2 months but my surgery doesn't sound as extensive as yours.

I can only comment that long term, it is great (until you break it again. :(...).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom