Practicing Basic Skills while Diving with an Advanced Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm always down to practice a few skills. The key though is when your asking your buddy if they are down for practicing skills, ask them to watch, and give you some advice if there is something giving you trouble. Practice is good, but if you practice something wrong, then what is the point?

It all depends on the dive. But in general taking some time to do skills on most dives is a good thing. Deploying your alternate air source, doing a bubble check and and valve drill at 10 fsw at the beginning of the dive is a good habit if the conditions permit. High currents, or high seas, may mean you want to drop down to depth rapidly at the beginning of the dive however. Air share drills at the end of the dive are appropriate and give the opportunity to do some gas balancing to stretch out the dive. Of course don't stick something on the end of a stressful dive if you think it might go catiwombiss on you. Pre-dive communication is key. Don't expect your buddy to stop at 10 fsw and do drills with you if you have not discussed it in advance.

Generally, i dont go out with the intention to practice but i end up doing some of the basic things. Mask clear, reg retrieval, bouyancy isnt a skill for me anymore, its a reflex :wink:. only on some occasion have i practiced buddy breathing and emergency ascents.

You're going to be around the same area at your 15ft safety stop, so why not do it there? Or anytime you want, really. If you talk about it beforehand and agree to when you're going to practice the skills, there should be no problems. Many times, more experienced divers should practice basic skills as well.

There's plenty of time on a dive to practice and refine basic skills - maybe not on the bottom portion, but certainly on the safety stop etc. Even then, it doesn't hurt to ask your buddy if you can dedicate some actual bottom time to skills - most experienced divers will be inclined to adopt a mentoring role to novice divers who have the enthusiasm and mind-set to develop their capabilities. After all, if it makes you a safer and more competent buddy, that's a direct benefit to the person you dive with!

This can be done in a couple of different ways...but as others have mentioned, communication is key.

If there is an actual purpose for the dive (charter over wrecks, drift dives, etc) I think you would be better served to keep those drills for the latter part of the dive, ie as you are coming up and/or at the three mins safety stop, from an air and dive perspective.

The other way to go about it is to pre-arrange a dive whose focus will be mainly if not entirely devoted to training and practicing drills...

Sounds like a great idea to me. Be sure to check with your buddy ahead of time and be clear on how much time you want to spend - there is a difference between some safety drills at the beginning of a dive and a dive dedicated to practicing skills.

I would perfer to dive with a buddy who like to work on there skills. I love working on my skill sets too. Just let the buddy know ahead of time.

What everyone else said, AND... it should be emphasized that this should be part of your pre-dive buddy conversation. On all dives each buddy should let the other know their intentions and purpose on the dive, moving alot, or being still and observing stuff; taking pictures or spear fishing; etc. plan your dive, and dive your plan. Until its time for skills review per the plan, or when skills review time is over, do other things. It's a great thing to do, with advance notice and agreement so the team is on the same page.
DivemasterDennis

I learned early on and teach that EVERY DIVE IS A SKILLS DIVE! The people I do not want to dive with are the ones who think they are good enough and that working on skills on a dive is a waste of time or air. Or that it takes away from the dive. Every "fun dive" should include a dedicated portion devoted to working a a specific skill or skills.

Basic skills are the foundation of every more complex skill and so they also need to be practiced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom