Pre/Post Dive Massage Therapy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi fisherdvm,

Yes, ibuprofen most definitley is classed as a NSAID.

With ASA perhaps it's not quite as clear, but as you say techinally it certainly is, and it is worth noting that the NDC Directory codes ASA as a NSAID (among other codings), as do several other such systems.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Will do. I looked up listings on google and they listed 3 of our local hospitals as either having a chamber or having dive docs. Since it did not specify, I will have to give them a call. If I find a doc willing to participate, then we can apply for the grant. I do know that the doc will have to be willing to perform physicals on the divers prior to the beginning to the study. We will have to "weed" out those that have predisposed risks to DCS.

It might also be worth looking into availability of a mass spectrometer. Doing studies looking into DCS outcome would be very hard given the limited number of DCS cases you are likely to have (or be allowed to have per your IRB). In my mind, seeing an effect on inert gas elimination volumes would be just as interesting with MUCH less risk.

If you were really energetic, use a multiple inert gas elimination technique to measure inert gas washout. This would be a very cool study though they tend to require more time, equipment and personnel (which equates to money).

Of course, all of this could be looked at if you tagged on to an existing project. Maybe NEDU or NSMRL? Both have some provocative protocols that will be starting soon and I am sure their subjects would love the attention. :wink:

Will have to contact DAN also if we get this going.

Given the IRB concerns involved in starting a study, you might want to contact someone in DAN Research for ideas on wording on IRB protocols and consent forms. (I would ask for Neal Pollock if it were me.)

I may be a little bit on the selfish side, since I am a massage therapist, but I can honestly say that if I got out of the water and there was a therapist set up to do a 15-30 minute massage on me, I would jump on it! (provided that it has been proven safe)

I don't think this is selfish at all. I think diving medicine needs more people applying their various backgrounds and experience to ask and answer questions. I think it would be selfish for us not to support the research interests of ANYONE with a question (which is ultimately one reason why we started Rubicon and our Research Repository).

Thought about the PADI Foundation for funding as well?

Good luck and PLEASE keep us posted!

OK, I have contacted and instructor at the school that I graduated from and she is going to help. She is looking into the Naval aspect as she was in for 10 years. I have message into the local Medical college's clinical research department for assistance. Trying to get things rolling so we can get proposal together before March application deadline. YAY! I am excited!

If this all works out, and things go the way I hope that they do, I will have about 6 therapists up at the local lake doing pre and post dive massages for every event that we can!:)

Hey Scubastaci,

Bummer, my dear, but no real surprise.

Possibly contributing to difficulty in soliciting physician participation are:

1. This is not a topic in which the vast majority of physicians will have any knowledge or interest.

2. Foundation research grant money may be available, but you have no funding in hand. Kind of a Catch-22, eh?

3. The IRB issues do not yet appear to be sorted out.

4. Research doctors such as those at major schools of medicine typically are looking for projects that fall within their recognized scope of expertise and have a high likelihood of being accepted by a big name medical journal. This project may get into something like the Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine, which has a limited audience.

And, even within the field of diving physiology/medicine this would not be considered a high profile project.

5. You have no history of conducting formal research or publishing professional articles.

In any event, don't throw in the towel just yet.

Please do keep us posted.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom