Precious Gear...Carry On or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just purchased a full set of gear and am planning a trip to the keys in November. Should I take everything as a carry on or just regs? I'm pretty short for money and can't afford to have to buy a new set of gear. What would you suggest?

I always carry my regs, mask, computer, and logbook (my c cards are in my logbook) on board with me. The rest of my gear fits in my standard luggage. I did not purchase "dive luggage". It is easy to rent a BC and wetsuit if something doesn't come along. To carry the rest on would be hard looking at how some airlines are getting picky at carryons and their size.

Carolyn:sharks:

I usually carry on my HID light because of the fire hazard and because I don't trust the TSA to properly identify it. I have carried on regs before, but only to get around weight restrictions. This would probably not work today with the carry-on and baggage restrictions.

When I fly with my gear, my biggest concern is getting a hole in my wing or drysuit. The rest of the gear can take the abuse. If it gets lost or damaged, I'll rent or borrow whatever I need and then *try* to collect from the airline.

EDIT: I also don't lock my luggage (no locks!) when it flies.

Last edited:
Contrary to urban myth, not much is being stolen out of checked bags these days what with increased security. There has never been any market for used SCUBA gear, anyway.

Carry the delicate objects including cameras, dive computers and maybe camera housings.

Your regulators can withstand more abuse than they will ever find in baggage, and they are essentially valueless for any immediate re-sale... and they are darned hard to secrete on your person to carry off and away from the baggage handling environment.

Pad and surround your BCD with your wetsuit or towels/clothing. DoItEasy has the hi-tech flashlight issue nailed. Standard dive lights should be no problem checked.

I only carry my reg/computers on board. This is just because I am picky about what I breathe through. The rest goes into regular luggage and is checked. I have NEVER had anything come up missing or not make the trip with me. I've been through many international trips and domestic trips including The Keys (via Miami), St. Thomas, Grand Cayman, Cancun, Cozumel, Puerto Rico, etc. I've never had a problem with checking the "non-essential" part of my gear.

Dive gear or otherwise, I follow a simple rule. Small, valuable and irreplaceable items are carried on if possible. Also when working around baggage allowances, heavy and dense items where possible, to keep the checked bag within limits.

These days, for a dive trip, I'll get the following into my messenger bag and carry it on:
Prescription mask, regs, dive computer, cameras and housing, strobe, laptop, travel documents and paperwork. Besides that, the regular flight stuff like a book or magazine, snacks, etc.
Total weight about 20#s or so.

I just purchased a full set of gear and am planning a trip to the keys in November. Should I take everything as a carry on or just regs? I'm pretty short for money and can't afford to have to buy a new set of gear. What would you suggest?

I carry on my regs, dive computer and light head for my HID light, the rest I check. I also have a "travel" log book that is lighter and smaller than my regular log book that I pack in my checked luggage. I stick all my cert cards in my brides purse just so they will be safe. The rest will be fine. Have a nice trip. :palmtree: Bob

If I'm going to check a bag, then I prefer to carry as little around with me through the airport. I check everything except a bathing suit, cash, certification and credit cards.

Sometimes I'll carryon my prescription mask when headed towards a dive site, but usually put it in checked luggage on the trip back.

As Roatan Man said above, regs are rugged.

If my bags are delayed for some reason, I'll simply rent gear.

We carry on dive comp., and camera. Everything else is packed as luggage and our clothing is used as "packing" to protect our regs and such. I think maybe the original poster was concerned about "lost" luggage over something getting stolen out of his/her luggage. It's a thought that does cross my mind every once in awhile. We have had luggage come in late (our luggage was placed on the wrong plane, etc). And we've been able to rent what we needed until our luggage arrived... that's why we carry on our dive computers! I used to have a prescription mask (now I wear contacts which I carry on!) and I did carry that on since I'd be blind underwater without it.

It's interesting to read what others carry on/packed luggage. Great question!

Only traveled once with my dive gear. I brought my regs, computer, mask and a few other bits and pieces as cabin baggage, but mainly because I was worried about going over the weight restrictions. In the end my luggage came to 19kg so I had 1kg spare :wink: And that was only dive gear - heavier than my luggage for a 6 month backpacking trip by 9kg... for TWO days only. *sigh* I don't really have an issue packing my regs in checked luggage other than to reduce weight but as I would always take my computer in my cabin baggage I may as well take my regs as I doubt I could hire regulators that have the same quick release for my computer. Although a computer is easily replaceable I would not want to lose all of my logged dives.

Back
Top Bottom