Prejudice against solo divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
I don't expect it to spread ... rather the opposite, in fact.

"Prejudices" are typically nothing more than a natural (or "vested") resistance to change ... I think we'll see something similar to what happened to the opposition to the recreational use of Nitrox some 15 years ago ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Solo diving has been around a lot longer than Nitrox. It might just be me, but it seems that it's a more sensitive topic now than it was 25 years ago.

When in Rome...

You just need to solo dive where nobody is looking for you.
Also... if you carry a spear gun then most people won't mess with you :D

A lot of us have been solo diving long before PADI and other cert agencies were a pain in our pockets.

Dutchman we need to go SoloDiving together sometime :D
How about a night dive... That would be close to a solo thing huh?

I have no problem with a "their cave their rules" scenario. What I REALLY object to are the public beaches that will fine you for solo diving. Those types of places will only increase. All it takes is for one mayor, or city manager to see that another city has done it. Doesn't matter if anyone has ever sued becuase of it or not. Once one has done it, it becomes 'precedent' they in-act it just becase it sounds good.

FD

Timeliner:
Dutchman we need to go SoloDiving together sometime :D
How about a night dive... That would be close to a solo thing huh?

I agree Frank, we have to do some night dives at Lake Murray or Broken Bow. That would be a hoot.Wonder how many other TSD would be up for it.

There is a night dive planned at CSSP on Friday night :14: . It should be fun but that would be a topic for the Swamp Divers board... check it out there.
But yea...Lake Murray at night could be a trip. Usually below 50 feet it is like a night dive even at high noon. But I must not digress... this is a solo dive place.

"you're one of us and you understand, or you arn't and you don't" Tom Mount.
So don't justify your solo diving and if it's their dive site don't break their rules.

charlieo:
"you're one of us and you understand, or you arn't and you don't" Tom Mount.
So don't justify your solo diving and if it's their dive site don't break their rules.

I totally agree that if its their dive site follow their rules, however I am not sure that I agree with don't justify your solo diving. I would prefer to never to have to justify my solo diving, but it doesn't hurt either, as long as you use logical and well thought out explaniations it is possible to show some people that it is alright to solo dive, that they don't have to follow the herd, and that for others sometimes its better to not have a buddy. I would rather get the chance to show others that there are different ways to dive than to just not say anything and let them have their prejudices, if you just ignore them, they might go away, or more likely they will get stronger and we will have even more problems.

For Evil to triumph it only needs good men to do nothing (sorta paraphrased sorry)

I think your right in that solo has become more of an issue in recent history due to the takeover of the diving world by the evil PadI and all of this "team think". N

Back
Top Bottom