Preparing for Devil's Throat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only time I dove Devil's throat was in 07. It was the DM, one other diver and myself. The other diver was a heavy smoker. Older, rough voice and smoking all the time during SIs. I had dove with him for a few days and was surprised to see what a competent diver he was. His air consumption was pretty good.

When we dropped down, the current was cutting across our swim to the opening and we had to kick hard and used a lot of energy. By the time we got to the opening, the other diver was spent. We spent several minutes just resting for him to catch his breath. I remember him flat with the sand and looking down for a long time. At that point, I had concerns about going through the swim through. After the other diver was rested, the DM checked everyone's tank pressure and we continued on. I was in the rear and didn't really enjoy the rest of the dive. It was uneventful, but I spent more time watching the other diver than looking around the dive. Shortly after we exited it was time to head up. The kicker was, on deck, we checked gages and he had more air than me (and I'm pretty good). Go figure.

I will say that the view when you exit is awesome.

One of my favorite dives is to dive the wall above the opening. If you get there early, it's common see black tips.

PH

Back
Top Bottom