Preparing Vehicles and Military Tanks for sinking as artificial Reefs - How to do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I'm fine with metric. This is what passes through the general areas that I dive: https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/ch3en/conc3en/containership_draft_size.html Thus my concern, nothing more than that.

Thanks for the link. If I understand the information in the link you sent above, if the highest part of the wreck is deeper than 16 meters (e.g. 17 meters and deeper), that would be OK for the biggest ships with the deepest drafts available in the world today, is this correct?

---------- Post added November 9th, 2015 at 01:58 AM ----------

Does this mean that the bottom of some ships actually reach 16 meters (52 feet) below the surface?? Sounds very deep to me.

OMG, never thought they go that deep below the surface. I see oil tankers unloading or on-loading oil or oil byproducts off an oil refinery close to Tripoli but they are a couple of kilometers away from shore when they are doing their unloading/on-loading there. Nothing as huge as the ones mentioned in the link. I guess the real giant oil tankers don't come here. There is a major oil terminal few hundred miles from us in Eastern Libya and that's where the super Tankers come in.

OMG, never thought they go that deep below the surface. ...
That's the whole point. Neither did I. I'm pretty sure you can win your case on depth and placement if you can assure the powers that be that any container ship (or reasonably sized ship) can pass safely above the reef.

But if your intended reef is where the big stuff can't go anyway, then I would expect that you are good to go with whatever makes sense. I assume that you want a shallow reef for new and "occasional" divers. Sounds good to me, but make sure that you put it where it won't come back to bite you. In addition, you can almost bet on a dive shop/dive boat operation starting up near your reef, so choose the location wisely.

Dear Libyan friend please send me one operational T52 to help ease my commute.

Sounds like a beautiful project you should definitely sink a c130 if available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the whole point. Neither did I. I'm pretty sure you can win your case on depth and placement if you can assure the powers that be that any container ship (or reasonably sized ship) can pass safely above the reef.

But if your intended reef is where the big stuff can't go anyway, then I would expect that you are good to go with whatever makes sense. I assume that you want a shallow reef for new and "occasional" divers. Sounds good to me, but make sure that you put it where it won't come back to bite you. In addition, you can almost bet on a dive shop/dive boat operation starting up near your reef, so choose the location wisely.

I am talking about very close to shore, less than 500 meters, no big ships or tankers come even close. sites that are probably reachable by swimming from shore.

I am not worried about dive shops, in fact, I want to encourage the dive business to flourish here. My main concern will be fishing poachers who will either use dynamite to fish or big nets over the wrecks.

... I am not worried about dive shops, in fact, I want to encourage the dive business to flourish here. ...
As I suspected. :D

You are probably making local policy with this attempt so doing it correctly the first time will benefit everyone. I sincerely wish you well with this endeavor and hope you will contact NJ, NC, FLA (USA) and other established reef operations around the globe.

Always ask about "unintended consequences" everybody has stories. Like creating reefs from worn out tires. (Tire reef off Florida proves a disaster - USATODAY.com) Don't try that, been done...

I'd be talking with the local harbor master / coast guard / navy to find an acceptable spot out of normal shipping the features can be put. Not only to get their OK, but also to have the area charted and shipping to be warned. As I remember, in the U.S., A wreck has to have over 60' clearance before it is not a hazard to navigation, even then any buoys used will need to charted. It is more important in shallow water where a ship may take a shortcut and find some spots shallower and harder than they expected.

Sounds like fun.
Good Luck

Bob

Dear Libyan friend please send me one operational T52 to help ease my commute.

Sounds like a beautiful project you should definitely sink a c130 if available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These folks may be able to help you out, Tanks, Trucks and Armoured Military Sale. - Mortar Investments

Personally I would go for one of these instead of a tank, Tatra ShKH DANA vz. 77 - Armoured Vehicles - Mortarinvestments.eu - Mortar Investments Tracks can tear up a road pretty quickly.

... Some of the vehicles look like big Tanks with very heavy armor but they are actually Howitzer guns on chains ...
Oh! Heavy chain?

Chain is really useful stuff. So how about getting a deck barge, arranging your "attractions" all around the edge, chained together, and using a tug to pull the first one off?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom