Prerequisites for advanced class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Log books are worthless for evaluating a student's abilities ... you really need to see them in the water.

I agree whole heartedly.

As the OP noted, anyone can forge a log book, writing down whatever is needed for required dives.

One step up from that is what some people call "tea bagging": getting into the water at a shallow depth, hanging out for a while, going to the surface, going back down, hanging out for a while, going to the surface, going back down.... This gives you a required number of dives, but....

A step above that is doing the same very basic (but legitimate) dive over and over and over and over again. In a thread a few years ago, a woman considered herself a highly experienced diver because she had totaled about 200 dives over 20 years experience. Every one of those dives was done off of a cruise ship in tropical waters, never deeper than 60 feet. I haven't seen her dive, but I would bet I have seen many people with a fraction of that paper experience who have far more real experience and far better skills.

One of them is a student of mine. I was introduced to him when our shop scheduled me to teach his AOW class--scheduled for a few days after his OW class, which he had not done yet. Whoa! I said What's the hurry? Well, we did it anyway. He was fascinated by everything and has since been working his butt off, taking class after class, working intently on his skills. His OW certification was 5 months ago. He has started technical diving training, and he looks very solid with his in-water skills. I would say he is a stronger overall diver than many instructors I have seen.

A key benefit to doing the AOW dive early is that with a good instructor, bad habits can be corrected early enough that they do not get ingrained. A key detriment to waiting too long is that if you really do get a lot of good experience before taking the class, you will not get any benefit from it, and all it will be is a card you might be required to have for certain dives.

While there are no specific requirements other than having a basics open water diver card, in my experience, having had hundreds of AOW students, I think those who have at least ten, and ideally 20 open waster dives following their initial certification get a lot more out of the class than those who go right into it from the Open Water class. In my aow class, we emphasize navigation, task loading, and buoyancy and trim control. We also do a lot of work withy dive planning and site mapping. I think AOW students should be able to dive without being preoccupied about depth and air and etc. The "advanced step" to me is the task loading part. The task may be to string a line, or follow a search and recovery pattern, or handle a camera, or lift a found object. Experience diving so you know how to dive and can do so with minimal effort is a big help as you expand your skills in the water to include other things divers do other than survive a dive. But that's just my opinion. And I am right.
DivemasterDennis

Ahhhh yes the "tea bag". 15' for 20 mins is all that's required of an ow dive, what's the point?!? I had a couple people do that when I did my DM course. There were 5 of us in the class. 1 panicked on demonstrating mask removal, 1 panicked removing the mask for gear exchange and the other 2 made it. A year later when we started the IDC, the 2 that made it through DM dropped out of the IDC due to the book work and then there was 1.

Back
Top Bottom