Trimix Deep Dive Prerequisite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are you hoping to get out of your GUE fundies training?

Maybe this is more directed towards others but does GUE fundies give you significantly better training than ITT + AN/DP with a competent and thorough instructor? Or at least offset the monetary cost and opportunity cost?

Especially for someone who is only interested in sidemount and has no real interest in pursuing any other GUE diving?
It depends on the instructor. My ITT/Sidemount course was at a higher standard than what would be required to get a fundies tech pass.

The brilliant thing about fundies is GUE has a small cadre and really exacting standards. It doesn't mean you're going to be perfect, but you'll damn sure know what you need to improve on to get there and you'll know how to get there.

In the last month, I've been in the pool a couple of times with a local guy who's headed off to do Tech 1, and who just passed fundies with a tech pass. I wasn't teaching him, he was just working on his skills, which were very good, but they weren't perfect. There were a few minor things that he did (and he knew he was doing) that needed improvement. So, not perfect, but damn good. Based on what I saw, I invited him to go dive when he gets back from his class...

There's some other local tech divers that have been trained with other agencies to, and past, the ANDP level that I wouldn't dive with, and at least one that I'm working to fix. . .

In a perfect world, the answer to your question would be that the OP or anyone who finished ITT/Tech Sidemount (or whatever word salad the other agencies have) should be at the same level as someone getting a tech pass from GUE. But I can show you plenty of examples where that is not the case. IMO, GUE and UTD have a pretty good lock on the quality of their instructors. That's kind of "what they do" while other agencies have different strategies that aren't perhaps as laser focused on perfection.

What are you hoping to get out of your GUE fundies training?

Maybe this is more directed towards others but does GUE fundies give you significantly better training than ITT + AN/DP with a competent and thorough instructor? Or at least offset the monetary cost and opportunity cost?

Especially for someone who is only interested in sidemount and has no real interest in pursuing any other GUE diving?
The most consistent thing that I've heard about GUE Fundamentals is that it will make you a better diver. I've also read that higher level divers such as Divemasters and cave divers have benefited for the course. I'm all in to anything that will make me a better diver. And yes I dive and practice every chance I get. I've done most of my practice/training dives solo, so I'm also hoping that GUE will help me correct any deficiencies or bad habits I may have unknowingly developed.

In my mind taking Fundies is mostly about getting access to GUE dives and training. Unfortunately until they recognize sidemount for open water dives I would have to go back to a configuration which I personally dislike diving to fo those dives/courses.

Practice diving wing setup (20-30 dives)
- Take GUE Fundies
- After rec pass, dive SM setup (20-30 dives)
- Take ANDP
- Dive/practice techniques taught in ANDP (20-30 dives)
- Take Trimix

Rushed is an understatement...

Actually practicing the GUE-F skills, like being able to shoot an SMB without yo-yoing all over or an air share ascent with reasonable stops and minimal yo-yoing doesnt just magically happen. More like 4 to 6 months and 50-75 dives for most divers.

Getting a SM setup without really knowing what you are doing, a good mentor, and/or someone to really critique you can take forever. Assuming you aren't just fantasizing that you can figure out all the flaws in your initial setup (and there will be many tweaks needed). I would say starting SM to AN/DP is a solid year alone, 50-100 dives.

GUE-F to SM to AN/DP to trimix is definitely not a 1 year less than 100 dive process. More like 3 or 4 years and 250+ dives. You have to make regular and consistent deposits into the Bank of Neptune to accumulate the actual wealth of knowledge to be an asset at trimix depths instead of a liability to yourself or others.
Couldn't agree more with this advice.

For some additional perspective, I 'rushed' my training and it shows.

Looking at my log book:

-my first dive of AN/DP (which was my first time in doubles also) was my 50th dive
-my first dive with a serious deco obligation was my 58th dive
-my first trimix dive was my 65th dive (only 24/21, as part of the helitrox course it seems)
-I started my nomorxic trimix course on my 75th dive (which, looking back, seems against TDI prereqs)
-I started my hypoxic trimix course on my 138th dive
-I've since completed quite a few 90 - 120 minute hypoxic dives in the 100+m range
-I have 185 dives in total

I am a safe diver, but I would not rate myself a 'good' technical diver. There is a good chance I wouldn't be given a tech pass if I took fundies.

I'm going back to basics now and focusing on fundamentals, as I ought to have done from the start!

Looking at my log book:

-my first dive of AN/DP (which was my first time in doubles also) was my 50th dive
-my first trimix dive was my 65th dive (only 24/21, as part of the helitrox course it seems)
-I started my nomorxic trimix course on my 75th dive (which, looking back, seems against TDI prereqs)
-I've since completed quite a few 90 - 120 minute hypoxic dives in the 100+m range

And I thought I rushed through things. But I suppose it isn't as bad as the dude that did zero to hero cave at 60 dives.

Looking at my log book:

I am a safe diver, but I would not rate myself a 'good' technical diver. There is a good chance I wouldn't be given a tech pass if I took fundies.

I'm going back to basics now and focusing on fundamentals, as I ought to have done from the start!

Good on you for sharing that. I couldn't imagine having done 100m+ dives and I just did my 200th dive on Christmas Day with my deepest at 40.6m.

Just out of interest but what will you do now to "go back to basics"? What does that entail?

In my mind taking Fundies is mostly about getting access to GUE dives and training. Unfortunately until they recognize sidemount for open water dives I would have to go back to a configuration which I personally dislike diving to fo those dives/courses.
Fundies is all about building good skills. Good skills are never waisted. After my Fundies I knew what to work on and every dive since I have worked on those skills.

It is also a prerequisite for further GUE training. But that's only important if you want to proceed with GUE (which I did not).

Looking at my log book:

Awww I'm sorry you feel rushed. There is no shame at all in diving a "personal limit" which is less than your card says. My personal "fun zone" ends at around 65m. Below that the money and stress levels are out of wack with the "fun factor". There has to something super special for me to want to hit 75m+ and enjoy it.

Awww I'm sorry you feel rushed. There is no shame at all in diving a "personal limit" which is less than your card says. My personal "fun zone" ends at around 65m. Below that the money and stress levels are out of wack with the "fun factor". There has to something super special for me to want to hit 75m+ and enjoy it.

For me it is the deco, at an approximately three to one deco to bottom time ratio, hypoxic depths just don't sound like fun. Normoxic's two to one is tolerable, but still not fun but more workable.

Good on you for sharing that. I couldn't imagine having done 100m+ dives and I just did my 200th dive on Christmas Day with my deepest at 40.6m.

Just out of interest but what will you do now to "go back to basics"? What does that entail?
Well, 'back to basics' for me is starting my rebreather training. GUE JJ. I figure you have to start from scratch on closed circuit so it's as good a path as any...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom