mk2evo/r195 for deep dive pony tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So somebody panicked on a serious deco dive that involved multiple deco stops, the deepest was (apparently) at least 30 feet, and you use this as evidence that a 30 cuft tanks can not get a diver up from a 130 foot, no deco dive?

I use a 13 cuft in 130 ft and I am extremely confident it is enough for me for a direct ascent and probably even a little safety stop.

BTW, I probably would not do a serious deco dive in 140 with a bunch of people who are not carrying redundant gas. I also doubt I would attempt a serious deco dive with a single 80 cu-ft tank; I also probably wouldn't do it without a back up regulator on my main tank if I had unknown buddies. To me those are red flags, certainly NOT the size of the pony bottle.
In the 1990s on this liveaboard the Capt. policy was no pony bottles allowed. He felt they would be used to extend bottom time. I had an exception made, since this was not disclosed in the trip registration.
The only tanks onboard were AL80s. There also was no Nitrox. WO checking my dive log, I believe the first stop was 50 ft. Again, multiple consecutive days of 5 dives per day. I hope the above provides a some context. I used my pony 3 times on that trip, likely 2 of the 3 divers would not have survived without my pony.

Back
Top Bottom