mk2evo/r195 for deep dive pony tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I might be able to get a recently serviced g250 for cheap, and if so I'll certainly run it instead of the r195. If I might ask, though, why did you change from the 260 to the 250?

If that G250 is in good shape you should grab it! I mean a G250, not a G250HP. And nothing against the G250V but I prefer the older G250.

I certainly have not retired my G260s and Mark 17 Evo. It will be riding as back up quarter back in two weeks to Cozumel, starting QB is the Mark 2 Evo and G250s that went with me to the Red Sea this summer and also to Cozumel a few weeks ago. Third string will be some old double hose thing I haul around to make sure my suitcase has no extra room for anything else :).

The best reason I can give you is that I have an attraction to the simplest and most minimal and that is the G250 with Mark 2 Evo. I am not diving below 130 feet and truth is that only happens rarely these days. All the pretty fish and snails my wife and buddies like to gee gaw over are up shallow :wink:. Saying that, I tested the combo to 140 feet in TLR on the sunken Kimberling Bridge and it is cold, brrrrr, down there too:shocked:.

I have 6 coming my way, well, assuming they find my missing parcel😩
I just picked up two more and have them on the bench. I should think I probably need another really nice one with the large VIVA lever, uh, just saying ya know!

Th
Pretty sure I can accomodate😉

Be in touch.
Thanks for being my favorite facilitator :). See, I keep winding up with an uneven number of G250s thus I need another so each will have a nice buddy. I have a very pretty, large VIVA lever G250 that is very sad because it has no mate :(.

I would be more concerned with the AL30 being enough gas for an issue at 130 ft. You are looking at an average ATA of 2.5 atmospheres on the ascent and at a higher breathing rate due to the emergency, that doesn't give you a ton of time on the ascent to even shoot an SMB or handle any deco obligation incurred as you troubleshot the problem.
Orca is exactly correct.
Real life example:

While diving the IJN I-169 @ 140' FSW, a diver in our group completely ran out of air while still at the bottom. I was the only diver with a pony tank and due to his level of panic none of the other divers wanted anything to do with him. I put him on my pony and started up, while doing multi deco stops on the way to the surface. Shortly after arriving at the 20' stop, the tank ran out of air. Due to his panic, instead of starting buddy breathing with me, he chose to bolt for the surface. I had one reg' on the main tank an AL80 and one Reg' which only had a 36" hose on the AL30. I did try to get him to calm down and slow his breathing rate, but he continued to suck down the air hard.
The nearest chamber at that time was in Guam with no way to get there. If it wasn't his first day diving, he likely would have been bent and died from it. He didn't have the built up Nitrogen in his system compared to the rest of us had from doing 5 dives per day, otherwise he would be in big trouble.

Take Away: While I prefer the size and weight of the AL30, as Orca said at the deeper depths it is not enough capacity to be safe and was proven beyond doubt to be inadequate. I now dive with a AL40.

Orca is exactly correct.
Real life example:

While diving the IJN I-169 @ 140' FSW, a diver in our group completely ran out of air while still at the bottom. I was the only diver with a pony tank and due to his level of panic none of the other divers wanted anything to do with him. I put him on my pony and started up, while doing multi deco stops on the way to the surface. Shortly after arriving at the 20' stop, the tank ran out of air. Due to his panic, instead of starting buddy breathing with me, he chose to bolt for the surface. I had one reg' on the main tank an AL80 and one Reg' which only had a 36" hose on the AL30. I did try to get him to calm down and slow his breathing rate, but he continued to suck down the air hard.
The nearest chamber at that time was in Guam with no way to get there. If it wasn't his first day diving, he likely would have been bent and died from it. He didn't have the built up Nitrogen in his system compared to the rest of us had from doing 5 dives per day, otherwise he would be in big trouble.

Take Away: While I prefer the size and weight of the AL30, as Orca said at the deeper depths it is not enough capacity to be safe and was proven beyond doubt to be inadequate. I now dive with a AL40.
So somebody panicked on a serious deco dive that involved multiple deco stops, the deepest was (apparently) at least 30 feet, and you use this as evidence that a 30 cuft tanks can not get a diver up from a 130 foot, no deco dive?

I use a 13 cuft in 130 ft and I am extremely confident it is enough for me for a direct ascent and probably even a little safety stop.

BTW, I probably would not do a serious deco dive in 140 with a bunch of people who are not carrying redundant gas. I also doubt I would attempt a serious deco dive with a single 80 cu-ft tank; I also probably wouldn't do it without a back up regulator on my main tank if I had unknown buddies. To me those are red flags, certainly NOT the size of the pony bottle.

Rather than relying upon anecdotal evidence that is not quantified, I would suggest the OP do some calculations of his expected use and determine what size pony is actually needed.

Very suspicious, that the people who carry ponies are never the ones running out of air at 130ft...

Very suspicious, that the people who carry ponies are never the ones running out of air at 130ft...
LOL, not sure carrying a pony justifies going OOA or planning a dive that relies upon a pony to get you back top safe. But this was never a thread about pony bottles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom