Presbyoptic Lens Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clinically insingnificant IOL decentration occurs in about 25% of all IOL surgeries. In about 3% of cases there is a noticable or clinically significant decentration. Dislocation (poping out as Mike says) occurs less then .2%. These numbers are for all implant types. Study results from the New Alcon lens (it's been cleared by FDA for a year or more?) may be available. I've not seen them yet. You should look for them if your interested.

There may be optical qualities with this "multi-focus" IOL that make decentration more of an issue than with traditional IOL's. Do your homework people before you have any corrective surgery! Eye doctors make money by selling procedures. Know the risks, limitations, benefits, and science before you do anything.

For those of you who have the problem of serious near-sightedness -- Take a look at the dive goggle made by HydroOptix. It was made for us!! I have two of them, in addition to two prescription lense goggles. HydroOptix newest version has a softer, wider skirt than their first model. I can see under water with this goggle better than I have seen in the air with full coke bottle glasses for 50 years. Not only automatic distance vision correction, but field of view improvement over any flat lense goggle. If you don't want your eyeballs scorched with concentric circles or are beyond the currently correctable range, take a look at these goggles. For taking pictures under water, these provide vision that is better than any flat lense can provide. If you need bifocals (or trifocals) you won't believe these --- until you try them. No, I don't get any commission. I wish I did. I would really get on my soap box then.
WrmWtrDvr

Apologies for anyone taking offense at this shameless plug for my company's Double-Dome mask. Few people know that this shape creates a "Magic Bifocal" – super for older divers, in addition to the incredibly wide field-of-view. But because of our limited marketing budget, few older divers know of this benefit.

Older divers can focus their eyes close - like when they were 25-years old. Honest. This is nothing I invented. Frankly I stumbled upon this realization only after diving with several generations of prototypes. The diopter / optical power automatically gets weaker (help you focus) as you look at close objects. This phenomenon has never been described in the history of using dome ports for U/W cameras. But sophisticated Ray-Trace analysis proves it wasn't my imagination. Our website's diagram makes this easy to see: <http://hydrooptix.com/sup_optics.htm>

Wes Skiles, noted underwater cinematographer / explorer, joins 300+ OLDER 20/20 divers who have all conquered their presbyopia by wearing disposable contacts + our mask. Info on Wes: <http://www.karstproductions.com>
Yes, wearing contacts is a hassle, but once some divers see the difference, they agree that seeing is believing.

I had cataract surgery in both eyes. They replace the lens in the eye with a fixed one.
No problem diving.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom