Pressed Steel Decision, Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfenne

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have actually found a place that has pressed steel tanks....Now my problem is which tank would be most optimal? I am looking at the e7-100 and the e8-119. They are very very similar. main differences are the weight(about 8lbs), diameter (about 3/4") and capacity(about 20cf). With that said I physically can handle the weight. Is there a reason why I should choose one over the other that I am not thinking of and not know what future diving i will get into? Does one cover more bases? HELP I AM PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never dived the E7-100, but I recently purchased 2 of the E8-119's and I love them.
Their size, volume and buoyancy characteristics are perfect for my size and breathing characteristics.
I'm 5'7" and they fit perfectly without hanging over my butt.
The length also lets you really fine tune your trim.

Well it sounds like you don't mind the larger heavier tank, so go with the E8 119. Just make sure you have a buddy that has a simular tank or you will still be going up with lots of air, cause your buddy ran low. Better yet, buy 2 of them one for you and one for a buddy and then if you ever want to dive with doubles you will have a couple of excellent tanks.

If you would like come do a cenote dive in Mexico with me and I will let you try one of each and then you can make up your mind. :)

bfenne:
.......Now my problem is which tank would be most optimal? ...

Optimal for what?

What is your height/weight?
What diving conditions are you talking about -- Fresh/Salt, shore, boat, dry/wet, warm water/cold water, depth?
What are you going to do -- overhead / open water ?
How much lead do you carry now?

All things being equal, more air is better. BUT, all things are not equal. Many experienced divers have multiple sets of tanks, depending on what they are diving.

That being said, my standard work horse tank is an E7-100. I am 6'/200 and most of my diving is from the shore in 55F-65F saltwater in a wetsuit, with surf. My SAC rate is about .4 and average depth is probably 30-40'....I get cold before I get low on air and usually exit after an 60-75 mins with something close to 1000 psi left. Having a larger tank to carry up and down the stairs or keeping my balance during a rogue set of waves buys me little to anything good.

OTOH, from a boat in a dry suit, the extra gas is welcome. Right now I sling an extra 30 cuft pony in this situation.

The only shortcoming I can think of for the E-8 series is that dive boats generally don't have holders for them. That is only a minor problem for me but it is not something that occurred to me before purchase. I love the E8-119. Perfect size for me.

The extra 19 cf is always an big advantage if you have a buddy that goes OOA. In my mind hands down I would go with the 119's. Wait a minute I did, but you know I prefer my 130's. Can't tell the difference underwater, but what can I say, I like having the extra back gas.

I'm with OE2X, no one was every penalized for having to much gas.

Jason

I like the E7-100's -100 cu ft of gas in a more or less AL 80 size and weight class tank. And if you go doubles someday, 200 cu ft is still an awful lot of gas and they would be 16 lbs lighter.

But in general I would prefer a set of small to mid size doubles over a large single tank as the doubles offer more air and in many cases better trim and stability.

Just brought home 2 PST E-7 120's last night from LDS, O2 clean and ready to go. Next step is a pony bottle ( not to start an arguement, but redundancy is required on New Jersey boats, I am too old for double 120's and could not bear the thought of all the great dives I would be missing) can't wait to get everything wet.

Back
Top Bottom