Preventing a cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been taking Reliv nearly every day for close to 8 years. In that time I have not had a cold that was significant enough to prevent diving. I have had exposure to colds, and have felt them trying to take hold, but the supplements have been successful at keeping the illness at bay. This works for me - your mileage may vary. If you are interested, feel free to contact me about it.

Hope it goes away soon!

just a quick tip if you ever have a sore throat buy ginger tea crystals (found at most grocery stores) and add to hot water. drink like 3 or 4 cups a day and no sore throat at all during the day! learned this from my grandmother who was a nurse

I am not a medical professional. What you are about to read is based on my years of observing myself, learning from elder people, and reading.

To my understanding, the colds virus is already in our system but dormant. According to my own understanding, the colds symptom show up when our body resistance is down. So, the key thing to do is to keep your body resistance up. Things like taking Vitamin C, Multi-Vitamins, Exercise, Proper Diet, Enough Sleep, Enough water per day, etc. all help contribute to keep your body in good shape. Also, maintain a good standard of hygiene.

When I am down with the flu or colds, I get lots of sleep (rest) and drink (unsweetened) Pineapple Juice or Lemonaide (using fresh lemon juice). Yes, Vitamin C does not cure the colds. I found that enough rest/sleep and lots of water helps a lot. I just bombard my body with Vitamin C so in case my body resistance starts building up again (i.e. I start getting well), that extra Vitamin C in the system will help prop it up and get it going.

One thing I have noticed that brings about colds or the flu is when you let your core body temperature fall below normal for an extended period in time. A drop in core body temperature, in most cases (personal experience), makes those dormant viruses become active.

Phil

Last edited:
don't know much about avoiding but i do remember arriving on coz acouple of times with colds. a day there got them under control. good luck.

Thanks for all the replies. Feeling a lot better this evening I think I was just a little paranoid. Still trying some of the suggestions as a preventative measure. Thanks again, it's great to have a place to ask questions about diving and get so much help.

A lot of others have had some good pointers but getting plenty of can't be stressed enough. I usually get about one cold a year and it almost always happens after a few days of not getting enough sleep.

Yes, Vitamin C to prevent. But once it starts, try Neo Citron (a powder in packets). I use it here in Canada as it tends to at least limit the amount of stuff that eventually gets in your sinuses, etc. for diving problems. I recall that I bought something similar in the U.S. in CVS--comes in a box. Can't recall the name of it.

Yes, Vitamin C to prevent. But once it starts, try Neo Citron (a powder in packets). I use it here in Canada as it tends to at least limit the amount of stuff that eventually gets in your sinuses, etc. for diving problems. I recall that I bought something similar in the U.S. in CVS--comes in a box. Can't recall the name of it.

If my memory serves me right it is called TeraFlu in the US

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom