Preventing BPV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skywalk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My buddy has been suffering from benign positional vertigo after returning from the past 3 dive trips.

basically, any movement or changes in posture cause tremendous transient dizzyness lasting seconds to mins. These symptoms start 1-2 days after the last dive, and last 3-20+ days on average. the Dr gave her some motion sickness pills for nausea, and it kinda managed the symptoms till her BPV went away.

questions:
1) what causes BPV
2) how does one prevent it?
3) anyone else suffer from this and what are your experiences?

thanks for taking the time to read this post.

My buddy has been suffering from benign positional vertigo after returning from the past 3 dive trips.

basically, any movement or changes in posture cause tremendous transient dizzyness lasting seconds to mins. These symptoms start 1-2 days after the last dive, and last 3-20+ days on average. the Dr gave her some motion sickness pills for nausea, and it kinda managed the symptoms till her BPV went away.

questions:
1) what causes BPV
2) how does one prevent it?
3) anyone else suffer from this and what are your experiences?

thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Find a neurologist. There are techniques to manipulate the head that can help in some cases. It's thought that there is some loose debris in the inner ear that causes BPV. The manipulation of the head can "chase" some of this debris to a different location in the inner ear where is does not cause the problem.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom