price of boat dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
I was browsing some of the local charter boats' web sites recently and was amazed at the prices - most are $75 or more for a two tank trip. In Florida, you can easily find the same for $50 or $55. Anyone know any boats that are at least a little cheaper? I'm on a tight budget!

aujax:
I was browsing some of the local charter boats' web sites recently and was amazed at the prices - most are $75 or more for a two tank trip. In Florida, you can easily find the same for $50 or $55. Anyone know any boats that are at least a little cheaper? I'm on a tight budget!
It would seem that Florida is the odd ball wherever I have dived they have all been more expensive. What I dont understand is that on the west coast we are losing dive boats at a fast rate two in the last month. They say they can-not make money at it.

Make sure you're comparing the same thing. I found that some prices in Florida included tanks and weight while others didn't. The two 2-tank trips that I took last week in FL were each $45, but I brought tanks!

Can't give any specific advice about your area though.

-Rob

P.S. Boat times: 15 min to get to ocean (from intercoastal); 15-20 min to get to first dive site; (30-35 min dive); 25-30 min SI to next site; (45-60 min dive); 25 min back to slip.

I find the prices of local dive boats to be comparable to most of the boats I've dove on in the Carribean. You also need to consider that to get to many of the wrecks off NJ and NY, the boat ride is typically longer (many times 1.5 to 2 hour boat ride) than you will find in Florida. Therefore fuel costs would be more expensive...

ScubaK-Dawg:
I find the prices of local dive boats to be comparable to most of the boats I've dove on in the Carribean. You also need to consider that to get to many of the wrecks off NJ and NY, the boat ride is typically longer (many times 1.5 to 2 hour boat ride) than you will find in Florida. Therefore fuel costs would be more expensive...

All diving in this area is a 1- 2 hour boat ride if you want to hit the best spots stii aprox $55

wow.... here it's $35-55 for a two-tank dive trip, depending on the distance to the site (fuel costs) .... and 45 minutes is a LOOOOOOONG boat ride. And we plan on an hour dive at each site (depth/air permitting).

It would seem my diving budget will have to be increased when I return to the states !

Just about every boat I dive here is $40-$45. I have rarely seen anything over unless they are doing a 3 tanker. The joy of South Florida.

Just my opinion though.......

c'mon you guys are just figuring out that everything in NY/NJ is more? 990k for a 900sq/ft apartment isn't odd! but serioulsly you have to consider the cost involved in running a NE charter. many of the boats are old crew or fishing boats. very capable of taking a north atlantic beating. the avg dive boat in many parts of the world just wouldn't last in our seas. these boats cost more to own and operate so we pay more to dive. considering its almost an all day affair to dive a good NE wreck 80 bucks isnt really that bad in my mind. but then again we are used to paying 8 bucks to cross a bridge so maybe we are just suckers.

Not to mention the great rates we get on car insurance!

I would also think the cost of not using the boat in the winter would make the price go up. In florida the boat is in use all year around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom