• $101 - 150

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • over $150

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I own a drysuit but Never took the class

Votes: 18 40.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

double125's

Reaction score
I just ordered my first drysuit and was looking at classes, the closest lds wants $180. I was just curious what the average price for this course was. Also, any inputs you could offer on what to expect from this course would greatly be appreciated.

When I bought my first Drysuit, the LDS offered the course free. Due to some rather unfortunate timing I managed to miss the course twice, and ended up never taking it.

Having said that I was lucky enough to have an experienced buddy who helped me get a handle on the basics of drysuit diving.

Yep one of the advantages of buying local is usually the class is free.

Short class, one afternoon or evening so it shouldn't cost much. I know one shop that would offer the class free even if you were just renting a dry suit. First step in getting you to purchase one I guess.

My LDS charges $125 (for the shop, instructor and certification fees) for the PADI specialty. This includes 1 night of classroom/discussion/going over the knowledge review, 1 pool session, and 2 (Monterey) shore dives. Dry suit rental and course material were separate.

My LDS includes a private or semiprivate (our choice, depending on the number of people who want the class) drysuit class in the cost of the suit. We charge $150.00 if the suit is purchased somewhere else.

i just bought a drysuit one day and went diving after reading up on it some. It was no big deal. These drysuit classes are just a way to squeeze some more money out of a diver....

these runaway ascents feet first that people are so afraid of are not an issue when you use a drysuit the way it is intended. Unfortuneately it is still taught to use the suit for bouyancy control, go on a few shallow dives with a more experienced drysuit diver and you'll get it just fine.

sheck33 once bubbled...
i just bought a drysuit one day and went diving after reading up on it some. It was no big deal. These drysuit classes are just a way to squeeze some more money out of a diver....

Maybe everyone doesn't have your experience or problem solving skills. I think that is my impression of a great deal of what is written here on SB, that problem solving skills are lacking or the self assurance to use it...

The comment you made about doing it on your own is valid, but for the group, large or small, that has not mastered buoyancy control, the addition of one more variable volume air (gas) container may put them in task overload....

I'm laughing my #%% off. The shop that did my pool session charges for everything.

Cha Ching - another drysuit class, another dollar.

I did NOT end up buying my drysuit from them in the end. I'm happily diving a nice, dry, ebay bargain that fits me like a glove. It's the same style and size I trained in, but I saved over $1400.

Al Mialkovsky once bubbled...
Yep one of the advantages of buying local is usually the class is free.

Short class, one afternoon or evening so it shouldn't cost much. I know one shop that would offer the class free even if you were just renting a dry suit. First step in getting you to purchase one I guess.

My wife and I paid $150, and it was one of the final straws that caused us to part ways with the dive shop with which we were certified. Was told the class would be thrown in, and all we had to do was pay for the boat, not the case when it came time for the class.

There's nothing worse than being nickel and dimed when you just dropped $3k in the LDS...

~W

Drysuit class????

What the heck is that???

Put it on. Dive in shallow water. No big deal. I actually did jump in a friends pool to see how it was. But, it isn't that scary. Just see if you get floaty feet....

Back
Top Bottom