Primary light HID or LED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
For the budget diver,

1. UK HID Caon is the best.
2. PT Shockwave three eLED
3. UK C8.

I ageee, I have (recently dondated to the ocean) a UK light canon as a primary and a UK C8 LED as a backup. Both great lights on a budget, if you plan on doing lots of dives with them it's best to pick up rechargables for the UK light canon.

I'll be getting another light canon next week, unless I find a resonably priced canister light.

Good luck

Hey what about the benefits of a Halogen light, no one seems to be saying anything about it!

Hehe let me know if you guys want my input, I'd love to tell you guys a little bit more about HIDs, Halogens, and LEDs w/o sounding like I'm spamming the board.

There's a lot of information on our website that you guys can read, here are some links to them:

Here's a starter:

http://www.nocturnallights.com/content/view/28/58/

This page gives you the overview of how HIDs compare to Halogens.

Here's a brief pros/cons of each lamp:

HIDs:
Pros
  • Produces a lot of light without having to consume a lot of power. Typically a 10w hid produces about 400-450 lumens and a 21w hid produces around 1000-1100 lumens.
  • 2 to 3 times more efficent than haolgen bulbs in terms of battery life
  • High Color Temperatures (usually around 6500k, which is a white color with a blue tone)

Cons -
  • Fragile (espeically the 10w bulb)
  • expensive to replace (around $80-100 to replace each 10w bulb)
  • takes 5-30 seconds to "warm-up" (Some people find this annoying, especially videographers)

Halogens
Pros-
  • Bulbs are cheaper to replace ($3-15 per bulb).
  • Some systems allows you to switch bulbs
  • Very unlikely to break due to impact

Cons-
  • Consumes more power -> requires more battery to achieve same brightness and burntime

LEDs
Pros-
  • Super durable and reliable- it usually never turns off due to impact
  • Produces a white light (usually around 6000k)
  • Super long bulb life - you can almost be sure that you dont' have to ever replace the bulbs
  • Low wattage consumption (1w to 9w)

Cons-
  • Most LEDs are not bright enough as a primary light for a lot of divers

These are jus the very basic and general pros and cons. There are a lot of advantages and disadvantages amongst different manufacturer's designs. Our halogen lights, for example, can be as bright as a 21w HID or a 10w hid, depending on which bulb you want to use. We also offer halogen bulbs in diffrent color temperatures, beam angles, and wattages catering to different divers. You can read more about it on our site.

10W hids are nice and compact, and the prices have been dropping over the last two years, making them more affordable to a lot of divers while 21w hids are still too expensive for a lot of divers. The 21w hid light bulbs are usually more beefy than the 10w hids, which is as thick as a toothpick. I've talked to divers that had to replace their 10w HIDs 3-4 times already, but that's an extreme case.

LEDs have changed in the last couple of years. The cluster LEDs are usually not very bright, they are made of several low powered 1w led bulbs. However, becuase they're realiable and dont' require much power, they make great backup lights. Something like the shockwave which consists of three 3w high powered led bulbs is starting to becomming more popuar, and they produce around 150-175 lumens together.

Depending on the reflectors' design, they're actaully sufficient as a primary dive light if you're not looking for a lot of light. We are comming out with a three 1w led light that runs off 6 AA batteries, i'll make the announcement in the lights forum when that becomes avilable. The quality of the LEDs makes a difference in how bright the lights actaully are. Some high quality 1w leds performs just as well as a 3w led, but they're usually more expensive.

This my $0.02 on the choices that you have out there. Something else to consider is the housing, the design, and the battery. If you guys are interested in our products, let me know what kind of diving you're doing, how much light you need, how many dives and how long your dives are, etc. The neat thing about our system is that we have a line of dive lights with different characteristics and burn times, on top of that you can pop in different bulbs to cater to your specific dives, essentially customizable for each dive. For example, if you are only going for a 30 minute night dive and you want the brightest light possible, our SL50 (msrp $330) will do the job. Your next dive could be 60 minutes long, then you can just pup in a 35w bulb which gives you burn time of up to 80 minutes.

Anyhow, let me know if you guys have any questions. I feel that I've answered most of the questions and I'd hate to turn this thread into an advertisement. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask me, i'll be more than happy to help with your purchasing decision.

waterfall:
I want to buy a decent primary light for nightdives.Advice please!What does HID stand for and is it really so much better than LED?Do I go for rechargeable(seems more economical long term?)Something reasonably compact not TOO expensive and that's going to last!Cheers.

The nocturnal light is the way to go in my opinion. All around great dive light no complaint here I love my nocturnal light. You should check them out and do a little research I'm sure you will have the same outcome as I did.

Tim

waterfall:
I want to buy a decent primary light for nightdives.Advice please!What does HID stand for and is it really so much better than LED?Do I go for rechargeable(seems more economical long term?)Something reasonably compact not TOO expensive and that's going to last!Cheers.

LED's have gone a long way. Green force now has a triple super LED light that is very bright and almost indestructable.

Here is a copy of the text on their web site

http://www.mantaind.com/

Due to the low consumption of energy, the high output and extreme long lifespan of LED’s, the LED-technology has manifested itself as the lighting technology of the future. Green Force has been using this technology for years and recently took another step forward by developing the LED Plus technology. Because of Green Forces focused efforts in this field they have been able to engineer electronics for super charged LEDs. These electronics provide a stable and constant supply of energy that allows the output to be controlled perfectly and to be kept at a steady level. The efficiency and the burntimes are raised considerably. In addition, the FunStar and TriStar Plus are equipped with a control system that keeps the user updated on the remaining capacity of the batteries. When switched on, these light heads will blink a couple of times, indicating the battery capacity (3 blinks: maximum capacity; 2 blinks: sufficient capacity; 1 blink: insufficient capacity). The Diamond Plus has a radiated output of 20 Watts and an angle of 6° while the FunStar and TriStar Plus have a radiated output of 30 Watts and an angle of 4° and 20° respectively.

waterfall:

You should also check into the Nocturnal Lights.

HID is a great technology, but replacement bulbs are expensive

http://www.nocturnallights.com/

As far as stability and reliability goes, tops both halogen and HID. I'm not sure if the 3x3w leds is as bright as a 10w HID though. I've seen some LEDs that are bright and fairly impressive, but I have yet to come across any combination of LEDs that is capable of producing around 450 lumens.

From what I've seen, there's a lot of information that's sort of misleading in the scuba diving industry. The best way to measure amount of light output is by comparing their lumen ratings, which is provided by the manufacturers. But do take the design of the reflectors into consideration. For example, there are some manufacturers that claim their 10w hids is equivalent to a 50w halogen, and I don't see how that can be true when most 12v 50w halogens are rated at about 750-850 lumens (ours are around 1000 lumens becuase we're running it at 14.4v) while 10w HIDs are rated at 450 lumens. I personally feel that claims like this is somewhat misleading and its unfair for the consumers :(

Perhaps I'm just missing out on something, or maybe their definition of "equivalent" is different than mine. The only possible way that they can be equivalent is the way they appear to the human eye or some can say "because HIDs are bluer they cut through water better..." Anyhow, it's good that you guys are doing a lot of research over the internet, I'm happy to see that information is becoming more and more accessible to divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom