Primary light won't light ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done side by side comparisons in a cave, have you?

Actually I have, but that's not the question. The original question was wether or not you should continue a dive without a primary light.

The answer is simply NO! :no

Now, if you have a 3W light as a primary, that's your choice. But I would assume that if it died, you would thumb the dive and safely exit the system.

This isn't a discussion on light brightness, but primary light protocol.

Safe diving

Actually I have, but that's not the question. The original question was wether or not you should continue a dive without a primary light.

Now, if you have a 3W light as a primary, that's your choice. But I would assume that if it died, you would thumb the dive and safely exit the system.

No, the original question was whether a 3W led light is an acceptable substitute primary light to perform a limited penetration dive in a system very familiar to the dive team.

The answer is simply NO! :no
Safe diving

Thanks Mike. I would have a hard time using a 3W LED as a primary. I've used the Heser backup (which I think is a 3W LED) to exit, and while it's a good light, it is not something I would enter a cave with, and I would not dive in a team with anyone else doing so.

Maybe there are better 3W LED's than that.

I think the "with experience and in a cave I really know very well" excuse is the beginning of a very slippery road, and it's not one I intend on going down in an overhead.

No, the original question was whether a 3W led light is an acceptable substitute primary light to perform a limited penetration dive in a system very familiar to the dive team.

UGH!!! :shakehead:

Whatever....

Call Larry green, and tell him you want to change the standards, and that because of your wealth of knowledge and experience, you know better than anyone else what they should be. Honestly, I really don't care what you do!

I am not going to argue semantics with you because you feel the need to make an irrelevant point.

Why don't you and your buddy Ben, take your backups and go do an exploration dive in COW or Royal. While you're at it, don't run a reel ( because you know the system so well). Make sure you film it, then put it up on Youtube. Then come back here and Cyberdive some more just to tell us how brilliant you guys are, and how Standards don't apply to you because you're better, smarter, and more experienced :rofl3:

The older I get, the more I can't stand rambling children!

**DISCLAIMER** I was not advising these misguided kids to go dive Cow or Royal on backups without reels. I was simply stating how inherently stupid the idea is!

Safe Diving

Mike do you really want to get personal?

I think he just did. You just got served!

Your options are now to walk away or serve him back. Remember though... if you serve him back then... Its On!

Something that would be useful, is a chart to compare output of the old Halogen lights to the newer LED's.

Halogen vs LED vs HID. This would give us a better Idea on what minimum lighting would be allowable as a primary light. This would make much more sense than "believing" what a manufacturer states to be the output of their lights.

Safe Diving

I think he just did. You just got served!

Your options are now to walk away or serve him back. Remember though... if you serve him back then... Its On!

Actually, I PM'd Daedalus to apologize. I was just trying to get under his skin a little, but I was out of line when I attacked his skills and his age.

Actually, a comparison and recommendation for what is an acceptable primary light might be quite a nice project for somebody, if anybody knows people who have a lot of different lights. (Everybody here in the PNW has Salvos, except for a couple of diehards with DiveRite 10w's :) )

Actually, I PM'd Daedalus to apologize. I was just trying to get under his skin a little, but I was out of line when I attacked his skills and his age.

You have a well-established track record of doing that--using age as an inappropriate proxy, that is, not apologizing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom