primary light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out our site for the special on the TL50 extreme right now. We have also released our new hand mount for the TL series lights as well as the SLX LED. Both lights are available at a special price and you can add the scubaboard discount at the checkout. If you guys have any questions regarding any of our products feel free to ask me. When you look at the products on our site make sure you click on "more photos' because its difficult to see the quality of our lights by looking at only 1 picture.

Go with a can, draggin around a bulky hand held cannon is a pain in the but. A nice little 10W HID is plenty for most diving here in NE. The burn times are more than enough for 2 long dives with big steels, and provide good light in a small package. The heads are easily clipped off onto a D ring when you don't need it, and slips onto the hand, and out of the way when you do. You still have full use of both hands with a can light, as opposed to a cannon where you have to tie up a hand to hold onto it. They are a bit pricey, but are well made for the most part, and impossible to loose. I have found lots of very expensive cannons sitting on the bottom, because the stupid lanyard slipped off a wrist, or broke loose from a plastic snap. A good can, and a decent backup will carry you as far as you want to go in diving, and you don't need to go nuts with big 21 W lights when you don't really need them for your diving at this time. If in the future, you find you want to carry your diving into deep or tech, you can upgrade. But you will allways find a use for a good little 10 W light no matter what you choose to do. ..... Only MY opinion.

I use an 18W Halcyon HID. It is the best money I have ever spent on diving. It lights up the world and is an irreplaceable aid to communication amongst a buddy team. If you decide to go with a fixed focus beam, go with a tighter beam like the Dive Rite 6 degree beam rather than a wider one.

Cannister lights with a Goodman handle also allow you to easily run a reel without flailing the light all around, unlike pistol grips.

They are expensive, though!

edit: Oops...this is an old thread. My bad

I broke down after much thought, emails for more info, etc., and bought the Midget P-1 lights from www.handsfreediving.com.

Since these lights are worn on the back of the hand, if I ever decide that I need more light than those (I bought two), I can get another light and then use these as a backup...on the back of the hand, out of the way, right there when you need them....

The site that you linked does not work.

Thanks for the link. It seems interesting but I don't think the LEDs they use are sufficient as a primary dive light. Well, brightness is always subjective but these types of LEDs are usually used in backup lamps only.

Back
Top Bottom