Pro/Con of Oceanic B.U.D.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enlighten me... a I am looking at $150+/- for a NIB, non-grey market B.U.D.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2013 at 07:08 AM ----------

seems some have had other experiences...

---------- Post added February 1st, 2013 at 07:10 AM ----------

If I can on my primary, does that matter? What does that have to do with safely ending a dive?

About the only "flaw" I can find is not getting "average depth" from the device for table verification.... Curious about durability, build quality, etc.

Here a sample

Oceanic"Veo 180" Air/Nitrox Wrist Dive Computer
SKU: OCNV18W
This item Ships Free
In Stock
Our Price $324.95
Sale
$199.95

OceanicB.U.D Backup Dive Computer
Includes now FREE theDigital online class to get the most out of your dive computer.
SKU: OCNBUD

This item Ships Free
In Stock
$199.95

oceanic's prices fluctuates so much even on their website, last month retail was 419 on the bud now it's 219. You can go to Scuba Toy and get a full console system for 40 more and pull the computer out of the console and stick it in your pocket ad have a full backup system.

Second let say if you just started your trip in the Galapagos Islands and your primary computer went out your tell me you want to use that for the rest of the week?

Veo 180 is a closeout.....

As to your scenario, if I was making such a trip, you bet your @## I more than likely would be better equipped, but I am not diving like that.

The only reason I am looking at this option is I am not liking my wife's Puck on my arm (there isn't room for it with everything else), and its a PITA in my pocket....

The Bud is going to be a closeout of a closeout in the next few months. The bud is the old geo 1 without the download chip. Also the bud and the veo 180 come from the same design time.
The bud is equivalent to a spare air a good idea that doesn't work. Get a pony bottle with twice as much air or more for the same cost. But that my 2 cents if you're doing that kind of diving you need a backup computer.

It also does not have a backlit display, or audible alarms, or air integration. It does not even have a wrist strap! Those are the features for your primary dive computer. This is sold, marketed and priced as a backup.

You don't need alarms or air integration. I don't want either of them. Backlit display crapped out on my veo 200 a year ago. I had a light for night diving. Now I use a Predator. My back up is my OMS bottom timer and the tables for recreational diving with a set of wet notes to keep track of average depth. For technical dives it's the tables I cut on v planner and the contingencies that are done at the same time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom