Pro QD with I3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How buoyant is this BC when empty? I'm having a hard time finding even somebody's best guess online.

How buoyant is this BC when empty? I'm having a hard time finding even somebody's best guess online.

What exactly do you mean by how buoyant? I can tell you I dive 20 lbs to sink her and I use Steel HP 100's.

I just don't undersand the question.... :confused:

If it's like other SeaQuest BC's, I suspect it's pretty close to neutral. The reason you're not finding any data on this, as this represents a relatively normal buoyancy characteristic for a BC, unless you're diving a steel backplate.

Since some of the backplates give you 10#'s of negative buoyancy, this can be less than desirable -- there are times where, with my Black Diamond (also relatively neutral), I'm overweighted with 4#'s...

What exactly do you mean by how buoyant? I can tell you I dive 20 lbs to sink her and I use Steel HP 100's.

Without sharing your exposure suit selection and general build characteristics, this doesn't mean a whole lot. :)

From what I have read most BCs are positively buoyant in the water, which means you need to add more weight to counteract. The closer they are to neutral the better so you don't have to pile on more weight. Some can be positively buoyant by several pounds. So I'm just wondering where this one falls on the scale.

I'm sure this is not a huge deal since I really haven't found much data anywhere. Maybe it's a silly question but I'm a newbie so I still ask them. :)

What exactly do you mean by how buoyant?

Deflate it completely, put it in the water and add weight until it sinks (it will float when empty). That's how buoyant it is on it's own, that's how much more weight you need to counteract BC's buoyancy alone.

Deflate it completely, put it in the water and add weight until it sinks (it will float when empty). That's how buoyant it is on it's own, that's how much more weight you need to counteract BC's buoyancy alone.

Thanks,

I clearly understand the question at hand... I feel like a :dork2:... But I will get you the data you wish...

Next time I take her into the pool, I will add weights to the non-ditchable pockets and I'll have the results...

MG

I have also used the seaquest pro /QD, i have rented it several times. I can honestly say that it feels very comfortable, no problems swimming, sinking ascending, diving. it wears like a glove. I'm considering buying it, I just think it's a little overpriced @ $400. I'm a newer diver so I have not own any other bC's but of the ones I've tried so far...the QD is the better. I was about to purchase a Seamax JXz5000 (or something like that!!) for $200 last weekend, but i changed my mind. If anyone here knows where the QD is priced for less, I would welcome the input....

I own the Pro QD -- but not the i3 version.

I suspect the i3 is more negative, thanks to the lack of the corrugated hose.

$400 seems a little on the high side for the Pro QD, unless it's the i3 version. There may be mail-order deals available for the Pro QD -- but keep in mind that SeaQuest / Aqualung may not honor the warranties since the mail-order thing is contrary to their policy.

I suspect the i3 is more negative, thanks to the lack of the corrugated hose.

That would make it more POSITIVE since the corrugated hose is negative.

Per Scuba Diving magazine, the i3 has less than 1lb. inherent buoyancy. See chart here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom