Probably silly question; currency in ATMs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hey all, I've got what most will probably think is a silly question fer ya'll... I just wanted to confirm that the ATM machines on Roatan deliver currency in Lempiras? And not in American dollars? I just wanted to clear it up since that will mean I need to go get somme AM$$ (I'm canadian) before I leave or at the Atlanta airport...

Thanks for being patient with my questions!

Oh, and while I'm at it... is it ok to give tips to the staff over there (captain, DMs, cleaning lady) in Lempiras? Or does it need to be AM$$?

I'm leaving in 19 days and can't wait!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D Hence the silly questions...

Thanks all!!!!

Hi CODMAN,

Yes, the ATMs will dispense the local currency. Yes, it is okay to tip in the local currency.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Thanks for your input Doc! I just can't wait to be there! My last diving was in a dark canadian lake with a 7ºC thermocline at 30 feet and only a few smallmouth bass (who were smart enough to sray above the thermocline). I can,t wait to be out of my 14mm of neoprene and into my 4/3mm!!!!

Should be awesome!:D :D

There is nothing right about 14mm neoprene.

Have fun.

:D :D :D Believe me, when you hit a 7ºC thermocline you love your 2x7mm neoprene more than anything!!!! :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

It's going to be nice to dive in warm clear water with some marine life!!!!:popcorn: :popcorn:

CODMAN:
.......Oh, and while I'm at it... is it ok to give tips to the staff over there (captain, DMs, cleaning lady) in Lempiras? Or does it need to be AM$$?
Thanks all!!!!

But you might not want to. I got change for a $20 after buying a coke and ended up with a hand full of bills....the guy at the store looked at me real funny when I requested Lempiras instead of USD as change. Your going to need a BIG wallet if you get cash in Lempiras. :)

There is 1 at the airport - One in Coxen Hole at the bank - a couple at the bank in French Harbor - There has to be one in West End some where but I have never seen it.

If you are staying at an all-inclusive I would take US Dollars - I usually get a tonn of $5 bills and then some 20's as well -

If you are planning on doing allot of bar hopping I would recomend getting some Limp's as it will end up being cheaper and you won't have to do all that math in your head...
Deviding by 18.2 has always been hard for me.......

Everybody will take US dollars and be glad to get them - All the business will be fare on the exchange rate - except the bars and they just kind of round off -

Thanks howie. That is in fact soemthing I was worried about... Getting a bad exchange rate if paying in US dollars...:no We are doing an all inclusive FIBR, but will probably end up going in to town every now and again to eat out (unless the food at FI is amazing and warrants us staying there for every meal!!! :wink: Which I doubt...). I guess I'll get a mix of both: some US dollars and some lempiras...

By the way, does anybody know what I should expect as cab fare to go from FIBR to Coxen hole? Should be the same as from Cocoview, shouldn't it? In US dollars and/or lempiras?

Thanks again for your help!:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom