Probably wrong place to put this, but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TracysaCADiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I had a little adventure on Saturday. Thought this might be a little helpful for the fellow newbies to the Sport.

Okay, Time for a little review here, but first a little bit from the "Humor" section...
s2.gif

Ancient Chinese Proverb: Man who jump in cold water, must use facilities.
s2.gif

Saturday night I was able to check out the Henderson at the property in Colusa. Water was about 40 degrees or so. It was a little chilly, but it was like jumping into a cold water lake or river during the summer. After a while you get used to it. Everything seemed to work fine.

A Few lessons:

1. First lesson was learned while in the "Facilities." Next Item I am buying is going to be a dive skin. That 7m suit was a little difficult getting off and then back on again.
2. Second lesson was the Ancient Chinese proverb above.
s2.gif

3. I can see why divers use weights. I went down only about 8 feet or so in the deep end, attemptng to get leaves out of one of the drains. If I didn't kick with the feet I would get about a foot and a half away or so and wouldn't be able to reach for the leaves. We attempted to use a bucket with a large rock in it, but since I didn't have the tanks and all, and this was more of a "freedive" it was taking me down a little too fast.

All of the equipment worked well (Henderson Thermoprene suit (2007 model), Hood, gloves, boots, fins, etc.). I'm looking forward to the classes so that I can learn how to clear the mask. It was fogging up quit a bit.

I bought the Henderson Thermoprene from Scubatoys for about $159 - it was a closeout model from 2007. I would imagine that it's a lot cheaper now.

BTW, I am posting this independantly. I wasn't encouraged by Scuba toys to post this message.

If you spend $159, on something that fits, you will not have to undermine the design of whatever it is you have and enhance and multiply your problems, with a dive skin.

When wetsuits already have a diveskin inside glued to the rubber.

I have two Large size Lycra only skins, close to new, that fit my six and a half foot, two hundred and forty pound muscle and fat bound body very comfortably tightly that I wouldn't wear in public or in a movie.

For Sale free shipping.

If you spend $159, on something that fits, you will not have to undermine the design of whatever it is you have and enhance and multiply your problems, with a dive skin.

When wetsuits already have a diveskin inside glued to the rubber.

I have two Large size Lycra only skins, close to new, that fit my six and a half foot, two hundred and forty pound muscle and fat bound body very comfortably tightly that I wouldn't wear in public or in a movie.

For Sale free shipping.

Might not fit... I'm 6 ft 4 in and I'm about 190. Tall and lanky. Nothing personal, but when it comes to something that's going to be on me, I'd rather by new. 'Sides, I can get one at my LDS for about $30.

Is it a new mask? If so, you have to get rid of a thin film on the inside of the glass. A lot of people do this by scrubbing it several times with toothpaste (not the gel kind). You can also burn it off with a cigarette lighter. You should use some sort of defog in the mask before each dive. Some people just use spit. There are commercial applications. You can use baby shampoo (no tears.). If the mask has been thoroughly cleaned and defogged before the dive but still fogs, there is a good chance you are breathing out your nose into the mask. You want to avoid that.

As for the bodily functions, there are at least three biological things that happen when diving that lead to the body needing to dump liquid. The colder the water, the more this happens.

Enjoy your class!

If you are tall and lanky I would have imagined the suit being big and accomodating and allow you the ability to thave it taken in for a perfect
fit whilst allowing for if any weight fluctuation.

Is the gripping when wet rather than sliding when dry something you are not yet used to?

Is it a new mask? If so, you have to get rid of a thin film on the inside of the glass. A lot of people do this by scrubbing it several times with toothpaste (not the gel kind). You can also burn it off with a cigarette lighter. You should use some sort of defog in the mask before each dive. Some people just use spit. There are commercial applications. You can use baby shampoo (no tears.). If the mask has been thoroughly cleaned and defogged before the dive but still fogs, there is a good chance you are breathing out your nose into the mask. You want to avoid that.

As for the bodily functions, there are at least three biological things that happen when diving that lead to the body needing to dump liquid. The colder the water, the more this happens.

Enjoy your class!

Not really. I've had it for about 6 months or so and I've already hit it with the toothpaste a couple of times. My thought was that it was fogging due to the colder water - (this wasn't a class location, and it wasn't heated. It's also a private parties pool).

Thanks for the ideas on the defog- I have a bottle and have already applied some, but it might be a good practice to do so before hand.

I figured it was something to do with the coldness of the water as well. Thanks!

If you are tall and lanky I would have imagined the suit being big and accomodating and allow you the ability to thave it taken in for a perfect
fit whilst allowing for if any weight fluctuation.

Is the gripping when wet rather than sliding when dry something you are not yet used to?

It was the first time that I actually used the suit. So I guess yes, that would be the case. I had put it on when dry a few times before but hadn't really gotten it wet.

The suit is a Large Tall size. It's also a 7 mil suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar build as you, 6' 6" 200lbs and I wear a XL Tall, FWIW.
Sometimes a little hair conditioner makes getting back into the suit easier.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't use the hair conditioner without wearing the suit a couple of times first, as they do become a little easier to put on after a couple of times donning/doffing them. Even then I'd probably try plastic bags on my feet/hands first before any kind of chemical solutions.

Many people engage their body's heating mechanism (urinate) when they jump in cold water. If you had to do the other thing, then there is also a technique for doing that as well :wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom