Problem with DS-125 Ikelite strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Delta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if anybody is running the same problem. I work as a PSD Diver and we have Canon 20D camera and Ikelite housing. We have one DS-125 Ikelite substrobe. Everything is rarely used and taken well care off.

But because this equipment is always on "standby" and we might be called out anytime its crucial that this equipment is always ready for use.

Everything is working great but the DS-125 is holding the battery charge very very poorly. Within a month its running almost completely dry. And is unusable so we have to charge it at least once a month just to keep the charge in "working" condition.

We have also tried to keep the strobe and the battery separated but it seems not to matter. The battery doesn't keep the charge long enough.

Is the battery not better than that, or is this "normal".

It would be great to hear from you..

Thanks
D.

as the battery ages it does not hold charge over extended period of time as well..keep up what you are doing -charge it every 3/4 weeks-thats what I do- or purchase a new battery pack and a new charger..you would need the new charger as the newer battery packs cannot be charged with the older chargers.The new chargers can be used with OLD battery packs but the new battery packs cannot be charged by the older chargers..

Thank you for fast reply.

Yes I will continue to charge the battery once every month just to keep it always ready. For longer period of time, does that not damage the battery.

But I have to say its very strange how fast the charge leaks out. I would have thought that it would be normal if you are not using this equipment, than the battery would hold the charge for more than a month, maybe 6 months or longer.

But what if I will keep the battery always in the charger, would that damage the battery.

Maybe the solution is to buy another battery and charge them both once in every month.

Thank you
D.

This sounds normal from everything I have seen.

I sent my DS-125 in for repair. Its old style battery is being replaced with the new style, and the new charger, AND it is being "fixed" - all for $300 + shipping. So take good care of that thing.

My plan, once I get it back, is to just leave it on the charger, permanently - since it could be a year before I use it again, and letting it drain down to nothing is damaging (from what I hear). I have this same problem with other electronics - so I an making a "battery charging area" in my garage - where I have all the various chargers for things plugged in, and all the battery packs from whatever sitting there on the chargers the whole time until needed. Hopefully, this will solve my problems in this area.

Thank you for the reply HowardE and NudeDiver.

To have the battery always in the charger, would that not ruin the battery?

From the Ikelite manual "... Store the NiMH pack fully charged and recharge the pack for a few hours each month. "

Since the smart charger includes a "trikle" mode you should be able to just leave it plugged in. Also from the manual: "...SLOW BLINKING illuminated light
Indicates that the NiMH module is fully recharged and the charger is now providing
a trickle maintenance charge, which permits the NiMH module to be continuously
charged for extended time periods. "

These both assume the new charger and battery (Smart Charger #4066.1 and NiMH battery pack #4066.5)I don't know enough about the old style batteries & chargers to know if this applied to those.

Also, it is standard for rechargeable batteries to lose their charge over time even without use. the same thing happens to my rechargeable AA batteries in some of my photo gear. I often find that recharging every 6-8 weeks is needed even if the gear hasn't been used much. I consider it an acceptable trade-off compared to disposable batteries. Not that you have a choice with the DS-125s

M Thank you for this informations.

Regards
D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom