Problems entering dives manually into OceanLog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Jefe

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have had a very frustrating few weeks of trying to manually enter my dives into OceanLog. Downloading from the computer works fine, aside from the fact that I can't dictate a starting lifetime dive number.

I run into the following problems when trying to enter dives manually:

1) When you press TAB, the cursor does not logically track through the form (just an annoyance).

2) You can not alter the lifetime dive number, or insert a dive that may accidentally get deleted. Dive number one was accidentally deleted (see #3 below to see how) and now I have to delete all dives and restart entering from scratch, as I can't insert a dive.

3) When you are working in the dive log and you use the arrow keys to move off a record, the system asks you if you want to save changes. If you say no, IT DELETES THE ENTIRE RECORD!!!

4) If you delete the last record on purpose it will create a new dive with A DUPLICATE LIFETIME DIVE NUMBER as the dive before it.

I have owned my VT3 for over a month now and can't import any dives because I can't get all of my previous dives manually entered in. Importing the data would be great but for some reason the only acceptable format is MICROSOFT ACCESS???!!!??. Why not allow for import from some normal format that you can actually export from other applications (ie. delimited text).

I really like this dive computer, but the software really seems to be lacking. That said, I haven't seen anyone else's software so perhaps this is good by comparison. It just seems as though all of this should work much better than it does.

My final irritation, and I know I'm not alone... I hate having to run parallels on my Mac for this one application. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a Mac version of this software.

If you can help with any of the issues above - I would be very grateful.

El Jefe

See response to #2 below.

I have had a very frustrating few weeks of trying to manually enter my dives into OceanLog. Downloading from the computer works fine, aside from the fact that I can't dictate a starting lifetime dive number.

I run into the following problems when trying to enter dives manually:

1) When you press TAB, the cursor does not logically track through the form (just an annoyance).

2) You can not alter the lifetime dive number, or insert a dive that may accidentally get deleted. Dive number one was accidentally deleted (see #3 below to see how) and now I have to delete all dives and restart entering from scratch, as I can't insert a dive.

The dives are renumbered by date and time. For example if you had a dive on 4/20/05 (life time dive #7) in the log and another in the log dated 4/23/05 (life time dive #8). You can add a dive which occured on 4/22/05 by adding the dive to the log with the proper date. When you save it the dives will be renumbered to reflect the proper lifetime number. The new dive (4/22/05 will become #8) and the 4/23/05 dive will become #9. Every dive after #9 will also be indexed up one number.

3) When you are working in the dive log and you use the arrow keys to move off a record, the system asks you if you want to save changes. If you say no, IT DELETES THE ENTIRE RECORD!!!

4) If you delete the last record on purpose it will create a new dive with A DUPLICATE LIFETIME DIVE NUMBER as the dive before it.

I have owned my VT3 for over a month now and can't import any dives because I can't get all of my previous dives manually entered in. Importing the data would be great but for some reason the only acceptable format is MICROSOFT ACCESS???!!!??. Why not allow for import from some normal format that you can actually export from other applications (ie. delimited text).

I really like this dive computer, but the software really seems to be lacking. That said, I haven't seen anyone else's software so perhaps this is good by comparison. It just seems as though all of this should work much better than it does.

My final irritation, and I know I'm not alone... I hate having to run parallels on my Mac for this one application. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a Mac version of this software.

If you can help with any of the issues above - I would be very grateful.

El Jefe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom