Problems w/battery charging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishLips

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new diver, and a new underwater photographer. I'm using a Canon S400 digital which uses a proprietary rechargeable battery. The power supply on Bonaire is weird, it's 127V and 50 cycles, or something like that. The problem is that the charger would show a full charge on the batter after about 30 minutes, when in fact it wasn't charging completely. The battery would die about 30 minutes into the dive. To compensate, I started turning off the display or turning off the camera completely when I wasn't shooting, which helped a little.

What I don't know if it was a problem with the battery, or with the charger. I haven't had a chance to test the system to find out if there was permanent damage to the battery or if it was just a power source issue.

Anyone have similar experiences or problems while traveling to Bonaire, or anywhere else? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

FishLips

FishLips:
I haven't had a chance to test the system to find out if there was permanent damage to the battery or if it was just a power source issue.

this is what i would do right away. please let me know
your results.

it may be that it took "longer" to get the battery to full power
given the available energy?

I'll be testing the system tomorrow - will report back. Also, I tried leaving the battery in the charger overnight, even though it showed a full charge. It was as if the charger "thought" the battery had a full charge and stopped doing it's job after 30 minutes or so.

H2Andy:
this is what i would do right away. please let me know
your results.

it may be that it took "longer" to get the battery to full power
given the available energy?

FishLips:
Hi, I'm a new diver, and a new underwater photographer. I'm using a Canon S400 digital which uses a proprietary rechargeable battery. The power supply on Bonaire is weird, it's 127V and 50 cycles, or something like that. The problem is that the charger would show a full charge on the batter after about 30 minutes, when in fact it wasn't charging completely. The battery would die about 30 minutes into the dive. To compensate, I started turning off the display or turning off the camera completely when I wasn't shooting, which helped a little.

What I don't know if it was a problem with the battery, or with the charger. I haven't had a chance to test the system to find out if there was permanent damage to the battery or if it was just a power source issue.

Anyone have similar experiences or problems while traveling to Bonaire, or anywhere else? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

FishLips

Is the charger a switch mode charger? if it is it should be able to cope with this power supply, if it is for 110 only or 110/230, ie america-europe then it probably will not be able to cope with this type of power supply.

A switch mode charger has nothing to do with switches on the charger itself, it is, as far as i'am aware, an electronic device built into the charger which can deal with any AC power supply from 110 to 240, 50 or 60hz!!

I've got Annsman switchmode chargers that i use around the world and have had no problems. Hoping to go to Bonaire later this year so I guess i may find out for myself as to how good they are :11:

Edited!!!
Is the camera new?, does it use NIMH batts? if so it can take up to 6 full charge discharge cycles before the batts will hold a full charge for the stated duration, but you probably know this, doh :11:

I took my Sony P10 and a Kowalski light to Bonaire last Feb. No problems charging either one, as the chargers could handle the odd power. I did use a surge protector as the power fluctuates quite often on the island. I agree you need to check the battery and try charging it again.

FishLips:

FishLips
I just go tback from bonaire on sunday and have the same set up you do. I think that keeping the camera on all the time just runs the battery down fast. I did the same as you and just started to turn off the display

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom