Problems with E-3 housing and battery pack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I then detached it, and I heard a loud crack. Upon checking, I noticed that the black stem connecting the pack to the strobe body is broken.

A couple of weeks ago I had the exactly same issue, I didnŽ´t force it, just open it as usual, I have 3 Ikelite strobes, the oldest one for a couple of years now, so is not the first time I detach a battery. I think this may be an issue with newer ds-125 models, because I didnŽ´t heard so much of this issue with older models, and IŽ´d been reading a couple of this issues, all with newer models... Maybe Ike guys you are having this issues with some batch of strobes?

What really p..ss me off is that one week later my second and oldest ds-125 (maybe 2 or 3 years old top) stop working. Is not the camera, the housing or me, I guess is just d..mn bad luck for me...

IŽ´m sending both parts to ikelite through my dealer, letŽ´s see what they say...

The only additional solution I could suggest is adding additional solder to the top sides of the hotshoe. This should provide more resistance when placing it on the camera and give you a more firm connection.

Hi, do you mean putting solder on the camera hotshoe itself (green area in the photo below)?

3568610541_ae5877a1d6_o.jpg

As you've found, control problems sounds like something is causing the camera to tilt forward a bit. So you want to make sure that the camera is attached firmly do the tray using a coin or screwdriver. Remove any accessory eyepiece, LCD shade, etc that may be attached to the back of the camera. You may also try replacing the rubber tips on those controls with different ones from the spare tips assortment that's included with the housing.

I have attached the camera firmly to the tray and there are no accessories that get in the way, but the way it is now, the top of the camera just doesn't get flushed against the housing back.

3568611039_69eb27871e_o.jpg

Do you agree that a small eraser with the right size placed on the inside front would do the trick (see previous photo above)? It certainly has helped in my case. Thank you.

Oh, I just got an e-mail from Ikelite telling me that they'e sending me two pieces (as requested) of the toggle pawl replacement kit under warranty (I think).

The Ikelite setup is a good rig, once tamed. Here is a photo from a snorkeling trip early this month:
Feeding:
3478820319_fdb1c6caff_o.jpg

Regards,
Norman

http://swordfish2.multiply.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/landscapist

Last edited:
Definitely NOT solder on the camera itself. On your photo, you can see where the top of the hotshoe has been shaved off some. To the right and left of that black plastic are two silver strips. If you add solder to those strips it will give you better contact with the camera.

Your eraser solution to push the top of the camera back shouldn't cause any other problems. Though you still may try replacing the tips on those pushbuttons to lengthen them slightly.

Great whale shark photo... hope to see them one day soon myself!

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom