Problems with newer light canons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partridge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi. I just posted on an old thread about the light canon and noticed the date on the posts. Some of them are a year old. I firmly believe that UK is a huge company dedicated to making their products better, and so is the supplier of their bulbs. I am sure they are aware of the complaints from their first released Light Canons. I am looking to purchase one soon and need to find out if they have worked out all the kinks.

Has anybody bought a light canon in the past 3 months? And if so any problems like the first edition ones? (bad bulb, bad ballast, bad with NiMH, etc)
Thanks so much. This is a big investment for me so I really need honest feedback.

I have dove with alot of guys who have a light cannon, and aside from it being a little heavy. they say that it works great. UK has long since worked out the kinks and the price has even dropped a little. And they include batteries now !:)

I have a light cannon, about a year old, no problems with it.

<--There's my light canon dangling from my wrist in my photo.
Mine died on me, but they promptly fixed it under warranty. My advice: make sure it does not get banged around. Wrap it in a towel in your dive bag and make sure it does not bang in to any rocks while diving.

Avoid "Energizer" batteries. They have some kind of coating on the flat end that don't work well with any of the UK lights.

When I switched to a canister I gave my LC to my buddy. He began having problems shortly after. He'd get a click, sometimes even a spark, but no light. After a few posts, the consensus was that the ballast was okay but the lamp was gone. He spent $80 on a new lamp, and at first it worked.
We got it out on the boat... same problem as before.

He gave it back to me and told me that this time it was MY turn to buy a bulb, but before I took it back in I swapped to Duracells. No problems ever since.

I had similar problems with my UK D8 and Energizers.

Yep; Energizers and the LC = :frown:

Mine's a little over a year old and it works great. I use it quite a bit both above and below water. Made some battery adapters out of PVC and Duct Tape and I run it off of NiMh AA cells now. I get about 2 hours + on a charge, and it's lighter weight too (almost neutral in SW). Been using DP 2300mA and Rayovac I-C3 15 minute 2000mA cells (GP brand didn't work).

Anyway... I like the LC. It does require a bit more care than simpler lights, but I think it's worth it.

RichLockyer:
Avoid "Energizer" batteries. They have some kind of coating on the flat end that don't work well with any of the UK lights.

When I switched to a canister I gave my LC to my buddy. He began having problems shortly after. He'd get a click, sometimes even a spark, but no light. After a few posts, the consensus was that the ballast was okay but the lamp was gone. He spent $80 on a new lamp, and at first it worked.
We got it out on the boat... same problem as before.

He gave it back to me and told me that this time it was MY turn to buy a bulb, but before I took it back in I swapped to Duracells. No problems ever since.

I had similar problems with my UK D8 and Energizers.

I hadn't considered that the problem was a battery coating. It looked to me like the contact points on the minus (flat) end of the Energizer battery didn't line up well with contact points on the light. I fixed it by wrapping a small piece of aluminum foil over the four battery minus ends that make contact with the light's contacts (It was a friends idea so I can't take full credit for it). Works like a charm!!

Oh, and I should add that I've had my Light Cannon for about a year. I've treated it like a, well, like a dive light, and have had no problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom