process & requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trixiegirl1970

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
ever since i first went to Cozumel 15 yrs ago I knew I wanted to pursue further training and eventually become an instructor. Would someone please explain the process (order of certifications) and requirements (time in the water) and what qualifies as dive time in the water.. Does 30 minutes in a pool count? Stuff like that.

thanks

This could be an interesting thread. I can see the sides forming already. :wink:

I don't know what agency you are looking at because you didn't complete your profile but this site has all of the requirements for all certification levels for PADI and NAUI. They don't cover PADI instructor though. They also have some recreational specialties and technical certification requirements.
http://www.sportdiverhq.com/profile.htm
Please please please please don't think that meeting these basic requirements will make you even a half decent instructor. Would you really feel comfortable learning to dive from someone that only had 50 dives? I did over 100 in my first year and still have a lot to learn and experience.

Joe

For PADI, you have to complete Advanced Open Water, and Rescue, then you can start professional track courses, as shown at:
http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/pro/
Click on each of the links, starting at Divemaster, and you'll see what is necessary.

Sideband:
This could be an interesting thread. I can see the sides forming already. :wink:

Joe

LOL...too funny. The line has been drawn in the sand.

30 minutes in the pool counts for your personal experience...but not as a logged open water dive.

Here's a good link if you decide to go with PADIhttp://padi.com/english/common/courses/rec/continue/. It lists each course and requirements.
The one suggestion I would have is to find a good instructor/shop and explain what your plans are. Feel free to PM me if you'd like further info or clarification. I'm certified with both SSI and PADI, but you can freely choose to go with another agency and there are other fine ones as well.

There is being certified and then there is being experienced and credible. IMO to be a credible valued instructor you should have 100s of openwater dives in varied conditions, especially the locallity in which you will be instructing. I'm sure some with less experience who had exceptional training and a gift for teaching can be very qualified with less so take my comment as "typical".

Pete

Time and experience make you a good instructor. Take your time and gain experience at each level prior to instructor. It doesn't matter what agency you go with as long as you have gained the experience and confidence at each level. I've been a Divemaster for 4 years and I'm just now moving on to AI then Instructor. I learned more working with classes and other instructors than I ever did reading the book and taking tests.

This is all good info. Just to expand on one point...when I was a DM I assisted with many different Instructors. Each had his/her own different way of presenting things. You'll find that by watching each, you can gain some great experience. I was also lucky in that the shop I worked out of had SSI, PADI and NAUI Instructors and it was interesting to see the differences between each.
To be perfectly honest, each taught the same BASIC skills albeit there were differences with the presentations which I really would attribute to the different Instructor types.
Check out each of their web sites and you'll be able to see some differences.
Good Luck and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom