Professional?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XPATMANX

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey i am only 15 and im looking for a career where i can dive on the job. So far ive been really interested in marine biology. I was just wondering if any of you get paid to dive(whatever the job may be) and what you need to do while under water for that job.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/238575-how-common.html

My wife has a degree in Biology. She's an accountant now. Go figure. The best advice I can give you is to remember that few decisions in life are or have to be permanent.

I think marine biology would be a super job to consider but most that I know spend very little time in the water. Heck, I even know one that isn't certified, lol. Happy hunting!

Yeah, probably the best place for a marine biologist to find steady work and diving is in an aquarium.

Most of the bios I know spend way too much time crunching numbers, writing articles and filling out grant applications. A good bit of field research is conducted by interns in school or volunteers.

You can get lucky and find steady work doing really cool stuff though. UW camera man for a documentary channel like Discovery would be awesome. I am sure the Blue Planet crew pinched themselves daily...

To do the really cool stuff you need the terminal degree. See this: Marine Biologist Dr. Love is a hoot, his two articles for budding marine biologists are quite funny, but very real.

If you really want to make a difference shoot for Veterinary school and specialize in marine mammals and birds.

The route I've seen is:

1. Finish high school and take all the math, science and bio classes you can.
2. Study marine bio at the local community college and get your basic and advanced SCUBA certification there as well.
3. Apply for and attend a university with a well know marine biology program and continue to study critter cutting - apply for any research assistant job you can find.
4. Get a job as a research assistant and start your Masters in Science or skip straight to PhD program and save money.
5. Write a paper and start looking for a position as a professor.

Or, get a Captains license or get hired on a research vessel as a deckhand/engine room monkey.

Your choice.

How much do you like math and science? If you love them, become a professor of marine biology. Expect to do a lot of non-diving stuff to get there. I'd recommend skipping the community college and go straight to university. Then go straight into a PhD program (skip the Masters). I have a PhD in chemistry, so I know a bit about all this. BTW, high school and university were cake for me, but my PhD program kicked my butt. (which it should; the best thing I learned from my PhD was how to use my own knowledge and skills to determine the truth--there's no answer key when doing original research.)

Then, expect to do a few years as a post-doc *after* you get a PhD. Then expect to work your butt off (and kiss a lot of butt) to get a tenured professorship. But once you get tenure, all you need to do is find a perennial grant to do whatever research interests you. And if that means you have to dive the Great Barrier Reef 4 times every year, then that's what you gotta do. :)

If you don't absolutely love math and science, you can go the commercial diver route--working on oil rigs, etc. A lot of successful and popular divers have gone that route. I'm no expert, but it sounds like a job that requires a lot of hard physical work and mental stamina.

Finally, don't forget the Navy.

Best of luck--the world awaits how you decide to leave your mark. Just never forget that you can always change direction, at any time. Don't let yourself become one of the hopeless drones who feel trapped by their reality.

First, do well academically in highschool, then get yourself in the marine biology program at University of Hawaii, get certified somewhere along the way, take the research diver program a couple years before you gt out of school and you'll have a fair shot of getting some research dives in at some point. From there you've got a shot at getting a dive research related job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom