Project 'Frankenstein' - My DIY Sidemount Trial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clear your front shoulder D-rings by getting rid of the bolt-snaps securing the blue tank shock cord/bungees: Use tri-glides instead and position them on the harness roughly 3cm or more under the front shoulder D-rings. Simply fit the bare end of the shock cord through the tri-glide/harness loop, tighten the tri-glide harness loop and secure bungee's end with a figure-eight stopper knot. Now you you easily adjust the tank bungees tension by tightening or loosening the stopper knot as needed. . .

Say hi to George Ang Dy Pay, Dante & the Crew there at Boardwalk Scuba for me!

Clear your front shoulder D-rings by getting rid of the bolt-snaps securing the blue tank shock cord/bungees: Use tri-glides instead and position them on the harness roughly 3cm or more under the front shoulder D-rings. Simply fit the bare end of the shock cord through the tri-glide/harness loop, tighten the tri-glide harness loop and secure bungee's end with a figure-eight stopper knot. Now you you easily adjust the tank bungees tension by tightening or loosening the stopper knot as needed. . .

Say hi to George Ang Dy Pay, Dante & the Crew there at Boardwalk Scuba for me!

I like this idea, I think it will work great since I wrap the bungee around just the valve.

I like that idea too but if you do that how to you thread the bungie around the valve?

My thinking here is that some divers simply prefer to put the tank handle through the bungee? Therefore, having a perm attachment is a simpler option for them.

Personally, I prefer to thread the bungee around the neck, routed under the hoses - I feel it's more secure. I just wouldn't want any chance of the tank dropping when inside a wreck.

Also get rid of that bolt-snap that's holding your inflator hose up and clipped-off to the left shoulder D-ring: all you need is a do-it-yourself loop of shockcord to retain the inflator hose to your harness.

The idea & motivation again is to clear your shoulder D-rings of unnecessary/unessential bolt-snap clip-ons (especially those under extreme tension like tank bungee bolt-snap attachments above); these can cause jamming or make clipping/un-clipping other pieces of bolt-snap kit (i.g. reels, lights, stage bottles etc) very difficult. . .

Pictures from my first Z-system sidemount trip to Chuuk Lagoon last Nov-Dec:
kevrumbo's Photos - Unified Team Diving

My thinking here is that some divers simply prefer to put the tank handle through the bungee? Therefore, having a perm attachment is a simpler option for them.

Personally, I prefer to thread the bungee around the neck, routed under the hoses - I feel it's more secure. I just wouldn't want any chance of the tank dropping when inside a wreck.

Yeah I am still working through the various permutations, but since my teaching will be done from shore I have to find a way to carry tanks on land that does not require pain in the butt underwater, and is stable enough for wave entries.

I have simply not found simple valve looping to be stable enough out of water or in the water. Threading the bungie aournd the valve works just fine in the water, though it does not provide enough support to carry the tank any great distance IME. I have clipped them to

2012 Dive Rite Method seems to hold some promise since it is both Metal to the harness and Bungied to the rear. That ring gets crowded with more than one tank though, and the neck snap gets crowded.

Sidemount Diving: 2012 Daisy Chain Loop Bungees & Stage Strap Tank Mounting - YouTube

You know, I've been using mountain bike inner tubes for bungies on all my rigs years. You can control the lenngth by tying one knot or two. They are vritually indestructable and they cost about $3. I think I just replaced the one on a rig we made in 2003 last year. They stretch like crazy and don't lose their elasticity, and if you put a loop of it around the handwheel on a tank, it's not falling off. No need for clips to the d-rings to hold them climbing boat ladders and the like. Just my two cents.

Bill, how are you running/wrapping your bike inner tubes? Do you have any pictures that you would mind posting? It sounds interesting. I just switched from ring bungees, which I really like the ease of use, to a loop bungee setup. I usually keep them clipped in to the dring on my chest and let the loop bungees pull them up in to the armpits. I am always down to try something else and see how I like it though.

Won't work for me - I like the bungee wrapped around the valve. I just don't have confidence in using the cylinder handle only - given some of the positions I can end up in traversing inside a wreck, especially given the silting/entanglement consequences if the cylinder should slip out and drop vertical.

The adjustable knot system you describe sounds useful for the initial sizing of the bungees, but afterwards, I'd like something a little more rugged holding it there. Again, thinking worst case scenarios... a knot can slip and drop the tank out of trim... which'd be bad juju in a silt-out exit. There's no risk of that with snaps and valve routing.

I've also seen hoses etc get tangled when forward swinging, and returning, the sidemount cylinders. Having the option to detach the bungee instantly, re-route, clean and re-attach the bungee seems to offer an advantage in that respect.

I also like the fact that the bungee itself is instantly detachable via boltsnap. It's another option available to escape from a trapped situation, especially one where a reverse is needed through a restriction.

Also get rid of that bolt-snap that's holding your inflator hose up and clipped-off to the left shoulder D-ring: all you need is a do-it-yourself loop of shockcord to retain the inflator hose to your harness.

That's what I tried first. It doesn't free quickly enough if needed rapidly and is still prone to dropping out (issues in a silt-out exit). My current way of thinking is that a bottom-routed LPI poses a big issue if it slips free, as opposed to a top-routed (traditional BP&W) LPI, which won't pose that 'dangle' risk if it comes out of the bungee.

I can manipulate a bolt-snap by feel in zero viz easily, and I can cut it free if necessary. In return, I get solid confirmation that the LPI is always going to remain exactly where I need and expect it.

The idea & motivation again is to clear your shoulder D-rings of unnecessary/unessential bolt-snap clip-ons (especially those under extreme tension like tank bungee bolt-snap attachments above); these can cause jamming or make clipping/un-clipping other pieces of bolt-snap kit (i.g. reels, lights, stage bottles etc) very difficult. . .

Firstly, I won't be putting any reels onto the front d-rings. :wink:

Back-up light is in my thigh pocket now - I wasn't liking it on the chest for some of the penetrations being done. (If you remember the LCU - were getting down into the 'under-deck' through the little hatches).

The main issue I see is clutter with the stage cylinders - however, having the bungee and stage clipped onto the same d-ring isn't anything drastically more cluttered than a back-mounted diver clipping multiple stages off onto the same d-ring.

I've been considering adding additional 'off-set' d-rings concurrently with the regular ones... to provide a dedicated SM attachment point and preserving the front d-rings for stages only. I'd have to try them to see what sort of buggerence they may produce.

I like the way the Z-System LPI routes up along the shoulder strap under-arm. I'm thinking around solutions to ensure that mine does that (I'm short - so it doesn't). Running it through some bungees may be the answer.

z19_800.jpg

Stupid question: When you say wrapped around, do you mean an entire loop around the neck, or just threaded under the reg hoses?

Also, do you put all deco bottles on one side? (Back to the PADI Tech SIdemount materials, they seem to assume everyone one is going with on one each side, even thought they allow for all deco on the left for BM Tech.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom