Promise syphon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A multiuse park that incorporated diving would almost certainly invigorate the local economy as well. Ecotourism is kind of politically correct right now, but with the new green hotel, trails, geology, rivers, etc, it seems that the smart development of these resources could please almost everyone, municipalities included. Lets face it, cave divers aren't the most detitute lot you could ever encounter. And currently, the area is ignored by almost everyone.

A multiuse park that incorporated diving would almost certainly invigorate the local economy as well. Ecotourism is kind of politically correct right now, but with the new green hotel, trails, geology, rivers, etc, it seems that the smart development of these resources could please almost everyone, municipalities included. Lets face it, cave divers aren't the most detitute lot you could ever encounter. And currently, the area is ignored by almost everyone.

The group I spoke of is already leveraging these things, has already had audience with the county commision to speak of economic impact, has liasoned with hotels and other resources, and is really trying to make this happen.

The county offers canoeing, kayaking greenway biking, offshore activities including fishing, diving, snorkeling, etc. All of this is not being lost in discussions. I wish it could happen faster, but at the moment it could not. There are legal, as well as political quagmires to avoid.

I agree,but cave diving has never been looked at that way. Most places have tolerated us,and have looked for reasons to close off diving. In the past a fatality at one place would send shock waves to other places,and rumblings of closing the cave is the best course. Things are changing,because we are making changes in attitudes,and demonstrating the demographics of cave divers who are visiting certain areas. In the 14 years I have been involved in cave diving I have seen some amazing things recently that lead me to feel more encouraged. To illustrate,look at the Wakulla County chamber of commerce web site,you'll find something on cave diving there.

I heard you performed a heroic act at Blue Springs the other day Jeff. My hats off to you for that.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom