Proper wing size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's an issue with quite a bit of debate. One school of thought is a wing just able to float your kit. The other makes the point that some wings with more positive buoyancy are so streamline that the smaller wings offer little or no advantage and these streamline wings allow you to use them in a wider variety of configurations such as with larger/heavier steel tanks. Besides the ability to use them with a heavier tank I myself prefer a wing with more lift capacity than the minimum. It could come in handy if you find something you want to lift without using a liftbag (within reason) or in the event of a rescue of a unresponsive OOA diver particularly the way some divers overweight.

Thanks so much for the info.

Out of 3 local (only 2 I will use) dive shops neither has a pool so only way to get wet is jump in local bodies of water and it is ski season here. First chance I get we will do some proper weight checks as soon as we can. Most likely the next 2 times of getting wet will be in Jan if we are able to do a weekend dive on the coast with one of the local shops. After that we are going to Hawaii in May. Come spring/summer here we will be getting wet every weekend we can.

Sax thanks for all the time you took with that post. I will have to do more research into used steel tanks. Like everyone else price is a factor and our location in relationship to being able to rent stuff it is more cost effective to buy our own. We can get local air fills though.

Here is the gear we are working on a deal with a member here;
2,Dive Rite TransPlate Harness Size L
4.tank straps
2,Dive Rite Stainless Steel Back Plate
1,Dive Rite Rec Wing
1,Zeagle Ranger Wing
Free Plastic STA, extra webbings and bolts

He wants $550 for all and I have seen pics of all. It is in my price range. For both wings are $230 of that price. I can not afford to spend ~$300 x2 for different wings right now. The only other possible option would be the HOG 32# wings that are on sale for $178 right now. Any thoughts on those?

hell, for that price, I'd just jump on it and call it good. It sounds like you truly need a 40ishlb wing, and the rec wing isn't that bad, it's tolerable. I did my open water training in one. You'll get harassed by a lot of people about the transplate harnesses, but when I was diving a hard plate I loved mine, and my transpac uses the same harness and I love it. To each his own, if you don't like it, you can always turn around and sell them. If you decide you don't like one of the big wings and it's too big, I have a 30lb diverite wing that I'll trade you for the rec wing.

If you have the option to rent tanks I'd do that, but don't go out and buy AL80's, it's just not worth it.

I have read a lot about the Harness and while it goes back and forth it "makes me feel better" then going with the real basic harness. I cant say why but it is one of the feelings I can not get over so I have decided to accept it even if it costs me a little in the long run. It is a huge step jumping from beat up rental SP jackets with Air 2's to BP/W and D1 HOG reg sets. From what I have read it is the right choice.

Thanks for your advice I will get the stuff coming. I will do some more tank research as I will not be buying anything till spring and we can/want to do local dives again. The couple dives we have planned before then will have to be rental tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom