Prospecting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Philip E. Lomason

Registered
Reaction score
I am a soon-to-be open water diver. I have long wanted to scuba dive, but have never had the time and opportunity to do so. No retired I am taking a class which I hope will allow me to enjoy the activity. I also have long wanted to go prospecting. I have had the thought that both activities could be wellded together and enjoy at one time. Have any of you ever gone underwater prospecting?

We all know enough golddiggers. It is refreshing to meet someone who gives of hiself/herself. They are a dying breed. I hope that I am one of them.

El Orans:
Hi Philip,

Welcome to the board.

I'm afraid I can't really help you with your question. However, I do know some diving golddiggers. Shall I introduce them to you? :wink:

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums - everything from New-To-Scuba to Instructors-Only to Dive Medicine.

don

BTW - Did you set up your Profile? Some ideas for your Profle might be taken from looking at mine. Click on my Username to the upper left, then click on my Profile, and see what I've done. For your's, click the [CP] in the upper left of the screen, then click [Edit Profile]. If you need any more help, PM me direct.

:D

Philip E. Lomason:
Have any of you ever gone underwater prospecting?
I haven't, but there was a big boom in it about twenty years ago here in Oregon. We regularly saw men dredging or vacuuming river bottoms. Haven't seen such lately, but you never know . . .

Check out the Gold Prospectors Association.

-Bryan

There are people who operate underwater dredges. They have a 5-20 hp engine on them and a hookah rig. They pump up the gravel and pass it over a sluice box where the gold drops out. They use them to tunnel under and then roll big boulders to get whats underneath.

http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I read about a guy that just snorkels and snipes crevices along the bottom, he uses a turkey baster, some screw drivers, chisel and sledge to get down in the cracks and removed the sediment. He pans it later.

I spent some time up in the Sierras and then down in Arizona for the winter. I did it on kind of whim, expecting maybe to find a nugget or two. I did my homework and found what I thought were good places. There's a big problem. All these places were under claim. There are people working these claims, some part time, a few full time. NO ONE wants you on their claim prospecting.

Where are you located, I have books and topos on Wash, Ore, Calif and the Quartzite AZ area.

GPAA has claims and a reasonable fee to use them, there are a few other clubs that do the same. There are some outfits that just don't feel right, that sell memberships. Kind of like time share condos on unpatented land that they only own the mineral rights on.

http://www.goldprospectors.org/

Welcome to SB.

A lot depends on where you live.

In addition to prospecting there is treasure hunting, with many of the same problems.

Lost jewelry on beaches is lots of fun to find. :D

I haven't been prospecting, but I'll join you on a wreck dive or a fish ID trip sometime, if you're in South Florida!

Welcome to the board and the sport,
Grier

Welcome Aboard!!!

It's addictive, but who cares?!?!?

Good friends and good info. What could be better???

P.S. - If you have not already done so, please fill out your profile.

Good luck prospecting.

Back
Top Bottom