Protocols for diving the "E" oil rigs formerly owned by Aera Energy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dytis- your assumption is that the rig owners will, as boats violate the rules, ban them individually. And that may be true for the first, or the second. But at some point the rig owners may decide it is too much trouble and just not allow any dive boats.

And you can put out there this perceived divide you think exists between hunters and photographers. Guess what, if there were no scallops on the rigs it would not change the photography enough for anyone to notice. And actually, watching a big Sheepshead snag scallops or scallop parts from hunters is quite entertaining. It's about the access for all divers, not just photographers. We are not trying to clarify the scallop take issue because of the hunting, but because of the potential consequences. In the end, it is up to the individual captains to tell you the rules they follow. And up to each diver to decide if they will follow those rules or not. Hopefully, this is just discussion and not fodder for a future thread about what happened to rig diving.

FACTS - Not assumptions

- Nobody has been banned yet but there are known boats/captains that allow scallop taking. You can just call the boasts and ask them.
- As Bill pointed out, it if very likely that the agreement did not represent the entire diving community and some boats/captains have been harvesting since diving resumed at the rigs. Even if there was an agreement after 10 years nobody has been warned or banned. Even in law books that is implied consent...

I do not promote the philosophy of asking for forgiveness insted of permission. I started this discussion looking for facts if indeed there was a valid reason why not taking scallops from the rigs. So far I was given assumptions and a "gentleman's" aggreement that even if it was representing the entire community which apparently it did not, it has a lot of "holes". I think that we have hit a dead-end where people can draw their own conclusions...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom