PSA if traveling to a Red Sea liveaboard and you use a yoke fitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are these tank O-rings you are referring to?

Sounds like a pretty good idea. I have a yoke 1st stage also.

yes, the tank o rings in the DIN to yoke adapters (that we were apparently supposed to magically know would fail en masse).

"DIN insert" not "adapters."
Correct - If I recall, it's a threaded "ring" that screws into the DIN valve with a non-threaded opening for the yoke? And the non-threaded opening is where the O-ring sits.

Good post and good advice. My primary reg is set up for DIN ( Apeks ATX200)....and I do carry a DIN to Yolk adaptor. I also carry plenty of spare o-rings in my tool kit as well as in by BC (Zeagle Stiletto) pocket along with extra fin strap, mask strap, signal mirror, water bottle, etc..

I'll be in French Polynesia in 5 weeks with Top Dive and I just emailed them today to confirm if their tanks are DIN or K-Valve (Yolk)... Here's their reply which I'm taking as meaning that their tanks are DIN with the insert available for yolk... Either way, I'll be prepared.

Ia Orana Hunter,

In Bora Bora we propose 7 different diving sites.
** ANAU, lagoon, famous site well known for Manta Rays
** TOOPUA, lagoon, famous site for Leopard rays
** TAPU (1), ocean, sharks site
** TAPU (2), ocean, canyon where you have school fish
** HAAPITI, ocean, Napoleon jack, black tip sharks
** MURI MURI, ocean, if weather is ok
** TEAVANUI Pass (we propose this in November => March when we have the good current)
2 more sites but only on private boat and with a minimum of 2 dives per person è Tupitipiti / Tupai

Regarding equipment, we propose both DIN / YOKE, we also have 15L tank.

Should you need additional information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards
Keikilani

Last but not least.... I also bring my standard Apeks factory yolk in addition to the DIN / Yolk adaptor. If I get to a destination that is yolk only, then I prefer to just swap out to my stock yolk rather than use the adaptor. Hope that all makes sense..

Because they cater mostly to European divers they don't usually use yoke adapters.
As others have said, it depends on the boat. Most cater to Europeans. On my Red Sea Aggressor trip I would estimate about 80% of us were Americans. I don't even recall being asked "DIN or yoke?"--all I saw was yoke. I've gotten the impression that people from various European countries favor certain Red Sea boats; some boats are favored by Brits, others by Germans, etc. And then there's Aggressor.

As others have said, it depends on the boat. Most cater to Europeans. On my Red Sea Aggressor trip I would estimate about 80% of us were Americans. I don't even recall being asked "DIN or yoke?"--all I saw was yoke. I've gotten the impression that people from various European countries favor certain Red Sea boats; some boats are favored by Brits, others by Germans, etc. And then there's Aggressor.
This crew told us they cater almost exclusively to Europeans and rarely see yokes. My "they" in my sentence was this particular boat. I've never done any other Red Sea LOB so have no comment on who they serve
And although there was fairly extensive IMO (30 years diving) questionnaire to be completed on line, never asked whether we used DIN or yoke

My "they" in my sentence was this particular boat....
I understand. It's just that the title of your thread is "PSA if traveling to a Red Sea liveaboard...," not "PSA if traveling to Blue O Two's Blue Adventurer" or "PSA that most Red Sea boats use crappy yoke inserts," etc. You could change the thread title :) Or not.

Or perhaps it puts people on notice to inquire as to what is used on the particular boat they happen to be going on... as opposed to limiting it only to one boat. Slowly being reminded why I rarely post here

Please stop playing the victim here. This is the internet, you got to have thick skin and just roll with it. You should try other online forums and Facebook, it will be very clear that SB is very mild in comparison.

On the positive side, your post brings attention to others to carry their own o'rings, DIN inserts and DIN to Yoke adapters when traveling to remote areas of the world for diving. AND most important, be happy!!

Or perhaps it puts people on notice to inquire as to what is used on the particular boat they happen to be going on... as opposed to limiting it only to one boat. Slowly being reminded why I rarely post here
I agree it's a good idea to inquire before the trip--really, anywhere in the world, not just the Red Sea. I think it varies by boat as to how common yoke or DIN is, even within the Red Sea.

Back
Top Bottom