PST Tank ID Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Another tank ID question, this one an old PST. I measured it quickly in the owner's garage so my numbers are approximate. It's ~25.25" - 25.50" tall, and ~22.25" (+/- a little bit) in circumference (a bit over 7" in diameter). Here are the engravings:

DOT - 3AA 3000 77923T PST 8 A 77 +

Anybody up on the old PST cylinders?

Thank you!

Weird size at 3000+

Should be about 100-104cf with those dimensions/pressure. A very early "hp100" tank - they had different notions of what "hp" was back then.

PST made some tanks back then that were about the same size as a steel 72, rated for 3000 psi, and held a tad less than 100 cf at 3300 psi (3000 psi plus 10% + overfil), and this sounds like what you've got. Perfectly respectable tanks, though they had a reputation for being heavy, possibly just because they were heavier than the steel 72s and alu 80s everyone was used to then. I wouldn't mind having a couple myself.

If that 8 A 77 + is the only hydrostamp, it hasn't seem much use over the years.

Thanks! It does have a couple additional hydros on it, but it's in great shape.

PST made some tanks back then that were about the same size as a steel 72, rated for 3000 psi, and held a tad less than 100 cf at 3300 psi (3000 psi plus 10% + overfil), and this sounds like what you've got. Perfectly respectable tanks, though they had a reputation for being heavy, possibly just because they were heavier than the steel 72s and alu 80s everyone was used to then. I wouldn't mind having a couple myself.

If that 8 A 77 + is the only hydrostamp, it hasn't seem much use over the years.

Lucky guy!

I used to use one of these when I would go diving with some of my friends. It was always great to look like I was diving a 72 and yet have a lot more available air as the dive progressed.

I still kick myself for not buying that tank (it was a loaner).

Back
Top Bottom