PT-015 Housing cracking under pressure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanwu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've just taken my 2 week old PT-015 to the Maldives for some scuba shots...The one thing that worried me was that as I descended, I noticed that the housing would give a slight cracking sound every few meters.

Thank goodness it never did leak, but I find it surprising.

Has any other PT-015 owners noticed this? Is this common & expected of light plastic housings?

It happens to mine too. I think it's just the back settling into place. If you keep a coating of lube on the o-rings, they'll squirm into place as the back creaks into place from the pressure on the housing.
Cjh

I've only had mine to about 30 ft so far but no noises.

The first time I took my PT-010 below 100ft, it creaked, popped and groaned but it didn't crack or leak then or on later dives.

...but it's happend to mine too...in a trip to Blue Springs (about 60-90 ft) where I noticed the "cracking" sound. I've had it on somewhere around 10 dives after that and it hasn't flooded yet...."knock on wood".

Happens all the time

Pressure causing o rings to seat, as someone else sadi

no worries

This happens to my PT-010 too. I routinely dive between 60 and 100 feet (max housing depth rating), and have occasionally gone to 110-120 feet without any visible cracks. The housing does CREAK though, and it's a bit scary at first but you get used to it. I reported on another post that I know someone who kept pushing his PT-010 past the max depth and eventually small hairline cracks formed. In the end the whole housing glazed like a car windshield that is entirely cracked. So unless you're repeatedly going below the max depth the PT-010 is rated for, I wouldn't worry, especially if you keep your O-rings in good shape.

It happens to me on every dive. I made few dives at 50 m (167 ft) and nothing happened. It seems that PT-015 is pretty solid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom