Public Service Announcement against quarry diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it could use some editing as diving is too general a word. And I always belive in truth in advertising. She probably should have said.....

Look you morons, it's dangerous to be @$$ing off and playing around in quarries. Don't tresspass onto land that doesn't belong to you or you are not invited on. Industrial places like quarries are dangerous places to ride bikes, ATV's or other vehicles, and diving into an unknown body of water is just foolish.

Sure it's summertime, it's hot out and y'all want to go somewhere old boring people aren't likely to be, impress friends and girls, and drink the beer you stole from the 7-11 or your parents fridge. Heck, even I went to the quarries as a kid, but the problem is that you're tresspassing and it's not 1950 anymore.

If we did something stupid as young people and survived our parent's would skin us alive for being morons. If we did something that got ourselves killed, then our parents would revive us from the dead and kill us themselves. In today's litigious society, even though you are tresspassing, if something happens to you then be sure your family would sue the quarry because they didn't put a big enough gate to stop your dumb butt from being well.... dumb. It's not right to sue someone because you were being a boob. They put up "no tresspassing" signs all over the place since you didn't see the first 20 driving down the access road, they put a couple of gates on the access road, and they sure as heck didn't send out flyers inviting you and 50 of your liquored up best friends up to come tear up their property.

So give us all a break, drink your stolen beer behind the A&P, ride bicycles not ATVs, and stay off property that you weren't invited to hang out on. My name is Kathleen McGinty and I promise if I catch you tresspassing at a quarry I will personally slap some sense into you.

Okay on another note that looks like a really neat quarry that she's standing in front of is anyone interested in figuring out where that was taped and diving the quarry/

Depends on what type of quarry it was how long ago it was mined and weather or not it's an actual dive attraction. The ones that are used as dive attractions obviously sink things to attract divers. Some of the ones around here have sank everything from boats, planes, semis, police cars, etc. etc. But I've also seen quarries where some of the mining equipment has been left around and that usually makes for interesting dives. Some around here have a rock crusher still at the bottom and the other has the scales for semis, and the loading equipment the trucks would roll under and get filled up on. There is also a silo up here that you can penetrate and go down through. There can be some neet stuff.

Rumor has it Portage Quarry in Ohio will soon be sinking a figher Jet. I wanna say it's going to be an F-14 Tomcat if I remeber correctly

Diving as in jumping off a cliff into questionable water is in deed dangerous anywhere. So is diving off a boat, pier, or dock. Scuba diving in a quarry is no more dangerous than scuba diving anywhere unless you go into an overhead environment. Than make sure you are trained or the skill and eqiupment to do it.

brutus_scuba:
Depends on what type of quarry it was how long ago it was mined and weather or not it's an actual dive attraction. The ones that are used as dive attractions obviously sink things to attract divers. Some of the ones around here have sank everything from boats, planes, semis, police cars, etc. etc. But I've also seen quarries where some of the mining equipment has been left around and that usually makes for interesting dives. Some around here have a rock crusher still at the bottom and the other has the scales for semis, and the loading equipment the trucks would roll under and get filled up on. There is also a silo up here that you can penetrate and go down through. There can be some neet stuff.

Rumor has it Portage Quarry in Ohio will soon be sinking a figher Jet. I wanna say it's going to be an F-14 Tomcat if I remeber correctly

Before they closed it the Madison Quarry in Huntsville Alabama had an F-4 along with some rocket parts that they got from the Huntsville Space and Rocket center.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom