Puck Pro - self battery replacement failed twice, instructions needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MiskoR

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I've had a lot of trouble with Puck Pro (still in warranty) regarding battery replacement.

Original battery failed within few months of operation and I've tried to replace it myself (in the area where I live there are no Mares dealers or service centers). I've got a new battery and visually inspected O-ring but did not find any problems.

Obviously I did something wrong as during first few dives after battery replacement computer started to report low batt status again and I noticed a brown smudge on my wrist. After further examination I've noticed that water went inside the battery compartment and battery short circuited and started to leak it's content (brown fluid). I've cleaned compartment and put a new battery in, this time applied silicon grease to O-ring, just to ensure a good, tight seal.

On the next first dive just after few seconds in the sea water computer went into boot mode! I took it off and examined again, this time problem was much more serious, water was again leaked and new battery short circuit but it exploded somehow and broke battery cover!

I was in Greece then and with the help of local Mares disti in Athens (IONAS) I was able to get a new battery cover and O-ring.

I've cleaned everything, replaced battery again, put a new O-ring on cover, inspected it visually for impairments and screw it (without silicon seal). Computer is OK now (fully operational, all dives in the log saved) but I 'am scared to go diving and to have another leakage with Puck Pro...

Can you help me with instructions how to properly close battery compartment?

How tight I should screw battery cover, where to stop? Are there any marks on it which should be aligned?

Should I put silicon grease or not?

Thank you all for your help!

Regards,
Miodrag

My issue isn't as bad as yours Miodrag. I replaced the original battery that came with the computer after about 20 dives. the new battery lasted about 10 dives. I put in another new battery and decided to the in 'Info' and it shows only 1 bar of battery! I am using the exact button batter CR2450. Would really appreciate some feedback here. Now, I am ordering extra 2 batteries before i go for any trip!

I noticed when I was changing my battery that the compartment door screws in with two levels of resistance. So, you screw it in, and after it stops, you have to increase the torque to screw it in the remainder of the way. I noted at the time that I was lucky to have not missed this.

My buddy had a similar problem, had to change the battery and the second one (a cheap generic one) showed one bar after a few weeks (was it days??). Anyway, he found that the latest firmware from mares had a battery consumption improvement. (As stated in the firmware release notes).

He did the upgrade and so far so good since april.

---------- Post added October 9th, 2015 at 07:46 PM ----------

See here

PuckPro new Firmware release (4.00, April 2015) - News - Mares

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom