Puerto Galera - Mermaid Resort vs Atlantis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's me and yes the food is AWESOME at Atlantis. They take great care of you there both in and out of the water.

Spot on! I have been to a lot of resorts in my 23 years of diving and I can tell you no resort has impressed me more than the Atlantis Resorts in the Philippines. I spent 5 nights at both resorts and they are top notch. The food, the rooms, the staff, and the diving can't be beat. I can't possibly imagine the staff knowing my name before the end of the first day but they did. And let me tell you, they are hard working people. I can't speak about the other resort mentioned but if the OP goes to the Atlantis resort, they won't be disappointed.

I've think that after some research Apo Island is where I want to spend most of my time, away from the crowds...the diving sounds incredible. So now I am wondering if it's possible to do a week in Puerto Galera and a week at Apo Island. Is it reasonable to think that transport from Apo to Puerto Galera or vice versa depending where I begin will only take one day? Can I fly from Puerto Galera to Dumaguete or do I have to go back to Manila? Also, is it reasonable to plan my trip in December (i could have up to 4 weeks this way, combining my year's vacation with the two week Xmas break we are given.....)
1. There is NO airport in Puerto Galera and the nearest one with connection to Dumaguete is in Manila. Depend on the flight schedule you might be to do it in one day. The last ferry from Batangas Pier to Puerto Galera is 16:30. Public bus from Manila to Batangas Pier is dirt cheap and frequent and the journey usually takes 2-3hrs. Private transfer from Manila airport to PG is around P6,000.00(one way)!!!!!
2. Dec is the best but it is the peak season as well so advance reservation for some places are highly recommended. With 4 wks to spend then I would suggest the Visayas region. Port of entry is Cebu City.
3. If you like to explore a bit then how about this:
a. Puerto Galera.
b. Ferry(Go2) from Batangas Pier to Caticlan(for Boracay).
c. Long bus journey to Iloilo and a fast boat to Bacolod and then bus to Sipalay.
d. Bus to Dumaguete and then Apo Island.
e. Ferry and bus to Moalboal.
f. Bus to Oslob(whaleshark) and finally Cebu.
g. Instead of going to Moalboal from Dumaguete, take the fast ferry to Bohol(Alona Beach).
h. Overland journey from Alona Beach to Ubay for the ferry to Southern Leyte(please check the ferry schedule).
i. There are so many choices in Visayas.

I wish I have 4 wks to spend in the country.

I will be diving in Sipalay next week and will update you on travelling conditions for Bacolod-Sipalay-Dumaguete-Apo Is., but your best bet is to fly straight to Dumaguete.

You *might* be able to get from Galera to Dumaguete in a day (by air from Manila), but it will be tight. I wouldn't recommend it :) Better plan it in such a way that you have your last dive in PG in the afternoon, take the earliest ferry out to Batangas the following day, then travel to Manila (preferably by private transport, because public transport does not stop at the airport). There's a 3:00pm flight (Cebu Pacific) to Dumaguete.

Maybe Atlantis can arrange for a resort-to-resort transfer :)

I agree that there are so many choices in Visayas. If you are touring, don't forget Malapascua. They were hit hard by the typhoon last November and your business would be most welcome.

//C

I think it will take TOO much time to go overland...since I've found out how cheap the flights are I'll do that! HAVE FUN and I can't wait to read your trip report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Malapascua is looking better and better from what I've been reading!

Thank you!

I will be diving in Sipalay next week and will update you on travelling conditions for Bacolod-Sipalay-Dumaguete-Apo Is., but your best bet is to fly straight to Dumaguete.

You *might* be able to get from Galera to Dumaguete in a day (by air from Manila), but it will be tight. I wouldn't recommend it :) Better plan it in such a way that you have your last dive in PG in the afternoon, take the earliest ferry out to Batangas the following day, then travel to Manila (preferably by private transport, because public transport does not stop at the airport). There's a 3:00pm flight (Cebu Pacific) to Dumaguete.

Maybe Atlantis can arrange for a resort-to-resort transfer :)

I agree that there are so many choices in Visayas. If you are touring, don't forget Malapascua. They were hit hard by the typhoon last November and your business would be most welcome.

//C

We did both Atlantis resorts in May 2010 and at that time didn't find it a big hassle to transfer - although it was arranged by a travel agent. Both resorts are very nice, they take great care of you and the food is fabulous at both. We were not bored with the food. To get from PG to Dumaguete, we took the boat/van back to Manila (arrange through Atlantis) and took a quick flight to Dumaguete - the transfer to the resort there is really easy - 15 minutes by car (they pick you up.) Dauin has great muck diving, but the corals are damaged so plan on sand, sea grass, artificial reefs (tires, car - these are cool). I liked Apo fine, we did two days there, but I didn't find it as amazing as it is sometimes described.... a couple of the dive sites were fabulous (Rock Point and the west side) but one side (east?) is sort of a big slope of all staghorn coral and not that many fish. At least that was my experience. That said, combining the two was a good deal. I have also been to Bohol and Padre Burgos in the Philippines. I am going back to Atlantis PG and adding Anilao for my next trip - soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom