Puffer fish bites off diver's finger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That probably hurt.

I can't understand why he would call it a day though. A rubberband to control blood loss and away you go. :eek:

Alex

A similar thing happened on Grand Cayman...

I forget the old name for the dive site, but now it is called "Killer Puffer" Apparently, one of the DM on GC had a penchant for playing with a puffer that was known to live at the site... One day, rather than blow up and be played with, the puffere took off his finger (or at least a large part of it....)

Sarcasm on - - - - Looks like I have to go and do a little Puffer Huntin' cause we can't have a fish like that out there that now has a taste for human blood - - - Sarcasm off.

On a predive orientation in the Dominican Republic, the divemaster gave us the usual talk about conserving the reef. The divemaster then put on a show for us. He took a little pufferfish, made it puff up into a ball, then proceeded to play a mock game of "futball" with it. Then when he was done he stuck a piece of coral into its mouth to imitate a cigar smoker. The puffer bit down and wouldnt let go. I got a picture of it here:

http://www.pbase.com/image/21089316

Perhaps the puffer was wishing it was his finger it was chomping on!

Fantastic picture, Eli! Ouch... I can just imagine that's a finger in his mouth.

As for the severed finger.. I have to admit my morbid curiosity was strangely satisfied to see a photo of the injury!

Pettifogger once bubbled...
A similar thing happened on Grand Cayman...

Sarcasm on - - - - Looks like I have to go and do a little Puffer Huntin' cause we can't have a fish like that out there that now has a taste for human blood - - - Sarcasm off.

Make sure you bring a silver spear when takin on...
Count Dracupuff
or better yet...Puff the Impaler.:letsparty:

I've actually heard of an even more vicious species...The Tasmanian DevilPuff.:ydevil:

Sorry,

Jeff

That must of really hurt but your pain has tought us all that we are in a different world when diving and must remember to respect it.
I didn't even know that puff's had teeth :gator: or could crush a rock at will. I think I'll keep my hands in a fist the next time I dive south.

Your very talented though to type with four fingers...He...He...Joke!:tease:

Thanks for the great story learnt alot.:thumb:

Any fish that took my finger off would pay for it with it's life.....now you all know why I refuse to go skinny dipping in the ocean....of course, very cold water seems to also put a damper on my enthusiasm in that department, lol

The stump that extended from my hand was clouding the water with green smoke.
Green? Is he a vulcan?

Sue -- no at depth our "red" blood looks green

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom