pulling the trigger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10tigers

Reaction score
it's time to get me some gear.
I've been renting so far and wasn;t very happy with the gear I used the last time around and vowed never to deal with it again...

So I'm ready to buy at least a reg setup. (I felt very unsafe with my last rental reg) I've done my research and have narrowed it down. I don;t want this to turn into a brandname discussion so I'll leave names out.

At this point in my life I consider myself a recreational diver. I like adventures, remote places and packing light. I was advanced certified a few years ago in Thailand and fell in love with it. All I had was time and diving was cheap.
Other than that I went to Belize and am now planning a trip to Mexico. I do plan on diving the rest of my life ( ie A nice vacation once a year. maybe 2)
When I decide to quit my job and leave Babylon behind to become a full time dive bum I'll submitt another post requesting advice on upgrades. As of now I'm an adventure traveler who likes to explore underwater as well.

So now to the questions:

1) What if I decide to go to California to visit friends and want to dive monterey. Do I NEED a cold water reg for an occasional fairly cold dive. (No ice diving for me as of yet) Also is the Galapagos cold water? I can;t wait to go there someday soon.

2) Should I pull the trigger on a BCD? I want to. I'm just thinking about my packing light issue. Like I said I don;t like renting. THe BCD however , is something that I can deal with I guess. But then I have to waste time, money , etc on dive day which I hate. Plus the convenience of having everything may spur me to dive more.

3) Longevity- How long ,if properly maintained ,will gear last? I'm a buy once kind of guy. I love gear but I'm not a gear head. I buy good stuff and deny myself the urge to spend spend spend on the latest and greatest. I like the old school look anyways.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers

PS - thanks scubaboard for all your help so far with equipment reviews. It;s helped a lot.

I'll point out a couple things, no brands mentioned. Cold water reg, sure why not? You said yet when talking about it, and you can use a cold water reg in warm water as well, and they don't cost that much more if any depending on brand.

BCD, sure, go a head and buy one. I find proper fit of a BCD as important as a reg that works well, but a good reg is nice and you don't need to worry about what somebody else did to it. I hate it when a BCD rides up on me, or is too loose. By getting a BCD you can get the right size and enjoy your diving more.

Equipment will last quite some time, I've heard of many regs going 10+ years or until parts aren't available so it's not like you'll be out buying new gear every other year. Just get what you will need over say 10 years and hope you don't change your mind as to the type of diving you'll be doing.

Take care of your gear and it'll take care of you.

I agree with cummings66 about the cold water regs and the BC. You won't regret having you own stuff. It's just one less thing to have to worry about. You know when it was last serviced and what kind of diving it has been through because it's yours!

cummings66:
I've heard of many regs going 10+ years or until parts aren't available ...

There are some regs that the basic internal parts have been around for ages and will most likely continue to be manufactured for a long time to come.

cummings66:
I've heard of many regs going 10+ years or until parts aren't available so it's not like you'll be out buying new gear every other year.
I’ve pulled old regs out of the closet that haven’t seen sunlight or service for 10 years that work just fine – though I do get them serviced if they’ll do anything but pool work.

If you're going to get the reg get the BC too. You'll probably dive more if you don't have to rent pieces and you'll save money eventually. Fit of a BC is almost as important as knowing you've got a good reg, and familiarity is good too. Packing a BC is not that hard, usually you go diving places you don't need tons of clothes anyway.

I bought my own bcd and I'm so damn pleased because:

1. When you rent gear you may find you have to spend several dives adjusting everything - and maybe it turns out to be just wrong for you anyway. So if you value your attitude and buoyancy ... well

2. With so many operations there's not even any guarantee you'll dive with the same gear every day anyway - which perpetuates your suffering (yes suuuuffering).

3. ... and you certainly dont wan't to be left with the battered x-small at the bottom of the crate because the fat russian guy who muscled in front of you got the last large in the shed

4. The safety issue - don't want some crusty old inflator with a herd of dried seahorses in it to leave me dangling in an upcurrent at Elphinstone or some such place. And when it does happen to your buddy (because he rented his, of course) you'll feel so much more confident rushing to his rescue because you know your gear inside out and your hand is already on that additional lower quick-dump that you made sure to get.

5. When you do get your BCD, because it will be weight-integrated you will forget aaaall about messing with weightbelts at every new site and your lower back will sooo love you for ditching that old ball and chain.

6. And you'll be so much more likely to be carrying life's little necessities like your own rescue balloon, a plastic whistle or whatever gets you through the night, and when you bring them you wont forget or loose them because they will be in YOUR pockets all the time.

But it's a pain in the backback sure ;0)

Happy hiking

go ahead and bite the bullet. I'm a newbie, just learned in april, bought my stuff and now it's all mine. Fits the same every time, goes on the same always, comfort and confidence!!! You'll be glad and over the long run, its pennies on the dollar

I have my own gear and i love it. its set up just for me and when i wana go I go.

as far as a reg set up i would look at aqua lung or if you want to spend the little more and get the apex ATX50 reg its completle dry so you wont have to worry about dirt getting in and its made for cold water. aqual lung is made be apex so no mater what you get it will be good. i have the apex with aqua lung legend octo. im tech so its over kill for travel diving but you could get the slim line octo for back up.( make sure its balanced) and good fitting bcd would be good for you. when you put it on you will know what ones rite for you. i like aqua lungs. they make good equpment.
let us know what your going to get.
if you going to travel make sure the bcd has weight pockets in it so you dont have to carry a weight belt with you. so you can rent some weights at the resort/vacation lds.

thanks so far for you comments- keep em coming

so Galapagos- I read is between 50-65 degrees
Do I need a cold water reg for that? Cold water reg to me means environmentally sealed. Correct? Is that absolutely necessary? Do I need a dry suit for that? I've been using my surfing wetsuit.

I'm asking all this because that's what I see down the road for me in the next 2 years. Peru for a month or 2 and then do a live aboard in the Galapagos.
I know I can get away with the basics in the tropics and for my trip to Mexi in Dec. But I want to be prepared for the inevitable.

10tigers:
thanks so far for you comments- keep em coming

so Galapagos- I read is between 50-65 degrees
Do I need a cold water reg for that? Cold water reg to me means environmentally sealed. Correct? Is that absolutely necessary? Do I need a dry suit for that? I've been using my surfing wetsuit.

I'm asking all this because that's what I see down the road for me in the next 2 years. Peru for a month or 2 and then do a live aboard in the Galapagos.
I know I can get away with the basics in the tropics and for my trip to Mexi in Dec. But I want to be prepared for the inevitable.

50-60deg you wont need a cold water reg for that but there nice to have. and yes cold water reg are sealed up from the water. some regs have oil filled in them and some are dry. dry is better for cold water bacause there no oils to freeze up. thats why i said to get a dry system. also less maintance on them too. as far as the dry suit thats up to you a farmer john suit will be fine for me but its up to you. like a 7mm.

if your wanting some thing for the next 2 years spend the extra money and get better gear. mabe a bp-w set up. like oms diverite haclyon. exe.
liter weight for travel and the break down to fit in your suitcase better.
thats what i have. oms bp, diverite wing and accesories

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom