Purchase scuba gear online - Canadian duty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have ordered numerous items (usually small) through eBay.
Delivery by mail.
It has been my experience customs does not usually bother if the customs/duty is less than$5.

Anyone has experience with DHL?
How do they compare to USPS?

Don't know what they are like in Canada but for me to ship something DHL from my location is more expensive and it appears they want a bunch of info to even get an estimate. Here's what I came up with for this example:
MCMURRAY
UNITED STATES Help
***Standard Rates Online Discount
EXPRESS WORLDWIDE
****Delivery Friday, March 04, 2016 by End of Day

$104.30
$83.44

spacer.gif

Ship now for Online Discount

spacer.gif

DHL Rate Estimate as of March 2, 2016, 04 : 21 pm
Get another quote
spacer.gif

More information about your results:

• DHL estimated charges: These charges are billed by and payable to DHL.
  • Customs estimated charges: These charges are billed by and payable to Customs. For you convenience, DHL Express can process these payments to Customs on your behalf.
Information About Customs Charges:
In addition to DHL Express service charges, local Customs authorities may impose taxes and duties on international shipments to control the flow of goods. Customs is responsible for collecting the duties and taxes that are levied for controlling the flow of goods, including transports, personal effects, hazardous items, etc. Each country has its own Customs authority that enforces the specific laws and regulations for the import and export of goods.
The prices quoted are ESTIMATES based on the information you have supplied. Prices quoted may not include all surcharges, fees, optional services, duties, taxes, and customs charges.
**** The transit times are INDICATIVE and DHL has no liability or responsibility for differences between this indicative and the actual transit times. Your final transit time may differ based on the pick-up time, the services requested, and the characteristics of the packages actually tendered to DHL. Please contact your local DHL Customer Service Center for more details about DHL services.

Now I have sent similar items to this to BC for $40 or so. On top of that in some cases customs did not charge anything. The postman simply brought it to the customers house and said have a nice day. Pay attention to the bolded type as this is where they get you.

I have ordered numerous items (usually small) through eBay.
Delivery by mail.
It has been my experience customs does not usually bother if the customs/duty is less than$5.

How recently have you purchased from eBay. EBay has a deal with Pitney Bowes for international shipping which automatically adds brokerage fees to your purchase. Often the brokerage fees/delivery fees are more than the item I want to purchase. It is also annoying since there is never any duty on the items I purchase. I have found that my only option is to have items shipped to a US address (UPS in Ogdensburg, NY charges $5/parcel) Its actually cheaper for me to drive from Ottawa to Ogdensburg and pick up the parcels their. Unfortunately anything under $100 is often not worth the UPS fee/border fee/gas. I wonder how long it will take for eBay to realize they have killed their international purchases.

how do you like that US address system? do you ahve to pay any charges at the border when you come back?

Thank Jim, helpful as always. DHL sounds like a money grab!

how do you like that US address system? do you have to pay any charges at the border when you come back?
System works great for me. I order in my name with the UPS store as my address. Track Ogdensburg
I can make the round trip in less then 2 hours, although I live in Riverside south so that helps. I pay $3-4 Canadian each way at border plus $5 US at UPS. When gas prices were high I would also work it so I could grab a tank of gas. The savings on gas would usually cover my gas down and back.

On the way over I tell them I am picking up a parcel at UPS and get waved through. On the way back I tell them the value and if it is under $100, sometimes $150, they wave me through with no HST. It seems as if they have discretion to allow a small amount which also seems to be per person so I take my son if it is closer to $200. ;D I have purchased Motorcycle parts, tires and scuba gear and never been charged duty. I have only been charged tax on the larger purchase.

Back
Top Bottom