Purchasing a mask - input please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goslingbiz

Registered
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my introduction, I haven't scuba'd and probably never will. But I'm getting into a little minor snorkeling, mostly looking for rocks in Lake Michigan.

I have an extremely limited budget right now and can't afford to do what I've read is the most advisable - go to a scuba shop where I can actually try masks on for proper fit. So I've mostly been shopping ebay and amazon for a mask for myself. (The only scuba shop in the area is closed down anyway, so I'd be stuck going for something by BodyGlove at Dunhams or something like that.)

I ended up purchasing this one, based on style (yes, I am a bit of a girlie that way, I like some appearance consideration to come into my equipment), name brand (I don't claim to be a particular name/equipment snob, but it just seems to me that a known brand is a better bet than a non-branded generic item), function (I liked the idea of tri-view lenses), price ($30 was my limit, this fell just outside with shipping), and not least importantly, reviews: (I can't post URLs yet as a newbie. So search Genesis SM5800 on Amazon for the one I purchased.)

The reviews on this one were pretty stellar. I was particularly impressed with frequent mention of how it fit the women in the reviews. I have a round face but high cheekbones, and (I guess) average female dimensions/measurements between forehead, eyes, nose and lips.

When I got it into the water, however, I had nothing but problems with it. I just could not keep water out of it. My husband has a SeaDive Cateye mask he purchased recently off ebay: (Again, can't post URls. So search CayEye Scuba Mask & Genesis Mojave Dry Snorkel" under completed items on ebay - the mispelling was the sellers'). That one worked great for me. I had no problems with water getting into that one, ever. I just didn't care for the split lenses, so I don't want the same model.

When I put that one back on to see how it differed from the Genesis TriView, the biggest difference I noticed was the skirt length. The bottom of the skirt on the Genesis comes almost all the way to the very top of my upper lip. The SeaDive stopped higher up near my nose. Basically, any facial muscle movement causes the Genesis to lose its suction to my face and allow water in. I'm not 100% positive it'd due to it's height, but that's my best guess.

I'm SO disappointed. The TriView has an awesome field of vision. I've yet to try it since the first day, but I have little hope of there being some kind of sudden improvement in fit. I tried super-tightening it, loosening it, a hard inhalation before diving, when diving, after diving, etc. Nothing worked. The SeaDive does this thing after I get into the water where it seemingly self-sucks to my face and I can feel a great seal happen. I don't get that with the Genesis.

So, I'm back to shopping. I got the Genesis from LeisurePro, and used it, so I can't return it. So my budget is still about $30 (hope to maybe sell this one on ebay to recoup some losses).

I have been halfheartedly looking at this one: (Once again, can't post URLs. So search tri view frameless narrow on ebay, it should be a model called "Ice") It's a frameless mask - which gives me some pause as I've read on here that they can have problems with the lens separating from the mask. It's also no recognizable brand.

I'm interested in that one for the tri-view lens, but especially for the fact that it's meant for a narrow face. NARROW, however, doesn't tell me if the HEIGHT of the skirt will work on me. I don't think my face is particularly narrow from side-to-side. But I might require a smaller mask for top to bottom measurement.

I tried to ask the seller questions about the measurements given to see if I can ascertain the actual height of the skirt from top (forehead) to bottom (upper lip). I don't know if the seller doesn't speak much English or what, but several e-mails later, I had to give up because they're giving me every measurement but what I'm actually after.

I'm a little bewildered at how I'm supposed to find a mask that fits without being able to try something on first. I know plenty of people buy from LeisurePro, so I know it's possible.

And anyway, just putting the Genesis on in my home, it felt like it fit fine. It wasn't until I got in the water and couldn't keep water out of it that I realized it wouldn't work for me. So I don't know how much it helps trying something on at a store anyway - what good is a fitting if you can't get in the water to make sure it works?

Any advice I can get is appreciated. Including if anyone knows of a specific mask with SPECIFIC measurements they can suggest from ebay or amazon that fall within my wants/needs. I'm still stuck around $30.

Thanks bunches.

Well, for me the single most important consideration for a mask is does it seal tight? I am middle aged and I have strong dimples. Getting a seal is tough for me. So I go to the local dive shop, slap masks on my face and suck hard and see if I get a seal. The best seal wins. Even so, when I dive I use some sealer to improve the seal. First I used silicon grease. But it is expensive and a bit hard to get. A little on the skirt works great and will last for 3 dives. Lately I have been using KY Jelly to make the seal. It does not work as well but it is inexpensive, widely available and washes off easily. Another thing you could use would be vaseline (petroleum jelly) but it would probably attack the material the mask is made out of. But hey if it makes an unuseable mask useable, what is the downside?

when I dive I use some sealer to improve the seal. First I used silicon grease. But it is expensive and a bit hard to get. A little on the skirt works great and will last for 3 dives. Lately I have been using KY Jelly to make the seal. It does not work as well but it is inexpensive, widely available and washes off easily. Another thing you could use would be vaseline (petroleum jelly) but it would probably attack the material the mask is made out of. But hey if it makes an unuseable mask useable, what is the downside?

If I could get this mask to work (I REALLY love everything about it except the leakage), there would be NO downside.

But I never would have thought using some kind of greasy lubricant would HELP make a seal...

I will pick some up and see if that helps. NO clue when I'll be in the lake again, but I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks!

get a HOG mask from diverightinscuba. I think the shipping is free cost is 39 but is amazing. it will fit.

As I mentioned in my introduction, I haven't scuba'd and probably never will. But I'm getting into a little minor snorkeling, mostly looking for rocks in Lake Michigan.

If you're not in a hurry, check your local SCUBA shops and ask when their "used" sale is. Many have them once each year. You can try on the masks and should be able to find one that you like for $5-$10.

No matter what you get, make sure it's made from tempered glass (the glass will say "tempered" on it). Tempered glass shatters into thousands of small rounded pieces when it breaks. non-tempered glass breaks into razor-sharp shards.

flots.

Last edited:
Try not strapping it on to your head so tight it leaves red marks.

A very common mistake among novices it seems. The strap is suppose to keep the mask from falling off your head, not provide an extreme compression fit.

I look for a low volume black, silicone skirted mask for day use. Side windows and clear skirts let in indirect light and refraction that hinders your eyes ability to focus on what you can actually see in front of you. Clear skirts are great for night dives as the extra ambient light is beneficial.

Fistly as I'm sure you're aware, you can't get a good fit from recommendations alone. That said, the mask you have, a tri-view, may not really offer the view you think. Looking through a mask in air is not at all the same as viewing through water. The side lenses may seem nice, but in reality for snorkeling may only allow excess side light in to glare off the inside of the lens.

A wider field of view has really more to do with how close the lenses are to your face. Many folks dislike split lens masks initially, but generally the center becomes invisible with a little use, so don't let that scare you off.

And as said before, don't tighten the straps too tight as this does tend to increase leakage. I would avoid lubricants also. And shopping a dive shop's used bin, or just asking, may produce a fitting mask at an affordable price. If you do however, choose to invest in a good quality, well fitting mask, you will never regret it.

Try not strapping it on to your head so tight it leaves red marks.

A very common mistake among novices it seems. The strap is suppose to keep the mask from falling off your head, not provide an extreme compression fit.

Also make sure the strap goes across the back of your head properly, too high or low will cause uneven pressure on the seal and the part with less pressure will leak. Also any stray hair strands that get under the seal will cause leaking. If you are using a hood, make sure it is not interfering with the seal as well.

If a slight suction from your nose will not hold the mask in place without the strap, it doesn't fit your face.

From personal experience I will never purchase a mask that I have not tried.

Bob
---------------------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape

Last edited:
I'm afraid that you may have to purchase several masks from an internet provider to be sure of what fits. You want a mask that sticks to your face with a slight inhalation through your nose. That is as tight as it needs to be. Then adjust the strap accordingly.

Talk to scubatoys or leisurepro and tell them that you may have to return some masks beforehand. Try the mask without getting in the water and then try it in the tub.

Remember, the most important factor is fit. No matter how well it matches your wetsuit or toenail polish. A low volume mask with a lot of skirt will likely fit more people than a mask with not as much silicone skirt.

Thanks for all the great tips.

I found out about a scuba shop I had no idea existed in my area. They're still open, and allow trying masks on.

I'm going to go there Monday and do some fitting. If I find something I like but can't afford, I'll politely say "I'll think about it" and see if I can find same within my budget online.

I'm going to work with the mask I've already got first, though. I have to pull my hair back for one and make sure that's not getting in there. And make sure the strap isn't too tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom