Stick-on readers for masks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi folks, brand new here, and finally making the time to get my basic cert in GCM next month. With that said, I have researched the intel on outfits that will install permanent reader lenses in masks. I am currently using a 1.5 on dry land for my readers. I'm 20/20 for distance.

With that said, has anyone had any success with the stick-on type readers inside their masks? If so, what type and brand?

With the additional magnification inherent in the water, are folks bringing their corrections down or up when using a reader in the water? My thoughts are we're viewing our SPG and dive comps relatively close.

Thanks so much,

Ultra.

With that said, has anyone had any success with the stick-on type readers inside their masks? If so, what type and brand?

No, keep losing them

With the additional magnification inherent in the water, are folks bringing their corrections down or up when using a reader in the water?
Same as reader glasses.

Look at the scubapro zoom or D mask and buy the lens from SP directly, I just went for full lens mag but they also do spot readers.

the mask strap on these is excellent too.

I have a couple packages of HydroTac lenses. If I'm careful installing them, they'll last for a summer. I replace them before trips to avoid the inconvenience of one coming detached. I use the same diopter as for reading glasses. They're not as clear as optical glass, but work well for reading gauges, computer, compass. When rubbing defog on the mask, stay away from the reader. Don't try to clean off old defog gunk unless the mask has had a couple days to dry. Water will naturally try to loosen the stick-on.

At 1.5, you may not need reading glasses. Objects in the water will appear larger.

The cheap solution is to bring a pair of readers or a magnifying glass with you. Both work as well underwater as they do below the surface.

I use +1,5 for my normal reading glasses, but I use +3,0 in my vision-corrected mask. In stead of trying the stick-on's, DGX has very low priced bifocal-masks which works well. DGX Gears Rio Gauge Reader Mask

Before I even started using reading-glasses on land, the first thing I noticed problematic was reading my dive-computer. So my first vision-corrected mask was the DGX one, then with +1,5. Since then I have progressed to +3,0.

Because that's what is needed. On land I read fine with +1,5, but I can't read my computers anywhere clearly with +1,5. So I have ended up with +3,0 which works good, but I have now also started to feel the need for an "intermediate" strength between my computer and the long distance to view critters etc. on a fairly close distance.

On an afterthought, it may also be that my dive-computer is closer to my eyes than when I read a book/phone etc, and that's why a stronger lens is needed..

Back
Top Bottom