Purchasing a mask - input please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry you had to close shop. But my husband did guess right, that you're a former shop owner.

Similar stories, just different job descriptions. People can't buy cars/GM can't sell enough cars. GM can't sell enough cars/my husband's former business can't sell door repair to them. So now he sells stones. We don't sell enough stones/we can't afford full-priced diving equipment.

This sort of thing hits everyone from the top down. It's all a downhill roll when the economy takes a big dive (again, pardon the expression). We all have to do what we can to get by.

Best of luck.

My cynicism runs deep at times. I should not have come off so caustic.

Internet Vs Local Dive Shop is a widely contested and discussed topic here. Right up to the point when a diver needs an air fill. Then the discussion is over.

We use to get droves of "customers" that wanted to try on equipment or have us repair 20 year old equipment bought at a garge sale and then proceed to balk at the price or suggestions to obtain gear that was actually serviceable.

Those tanks you saw being filled were likely connected to a 10-$20,000 compressor. Fill cost? $5. The tanks you saw being sold? MAYBE a $10 mark up which likely included a free air fill and visual inspection.

Personal gear like mask fins and snorkel is really where the retailer does well.

Your husband was half right. I volunteered my time working as a divemaster and general tank monkey to keep our LDS running. To see it close down sucks none the less.

Everyone has suffered to some extent due to mishandlings of the economy. I hope your business does well.

It's all good, Syntaxerrorsix. Hoping for better for us all.

As for my new mask...

WE HAVE A WINNER! I am REALLY happy with the Aqua Sphere Sphera. I had NO leakage, vision was clear, and the lightness made it feel like I wasn't wearing anything. Even the strap on this one is smaller than other masks I've tried, so it was easy to adjust.

True to my word, it traveled to the beach in its box, and went right back in the box when I came back on shore.

If I have any complaint, it's that the whole set-up made it too easy to stay in the water too long. I think I was face-down for the better part of 2 hours or more. Once I finally made my way back to shore, I was disoriented a bit and it took a few minutes to get steady.

Switched my snorkel to the left side as well, and thankfully, no more sore jaw. Thanks again for setting me straight on that. Seems like that should have been self-explanatory. I pointed that out to my husband. He prefers to keep the snorkel on his right, but he flipped around the mouthpiece and he also was happy about the lack of jaw pain.

Filled my dive bag today for the first time with lots of good, sellable stones. Also managed to pick up a couple big, monster pieces of blue slag glass. Biggest, most brilliant pieces I've ever come across. Those are keepers.

I had so much fun, not worrying about equipment, for the first part I mostly just let the considerably strong tide carry me across while I enjoyed the view below me. I'm definitely seeing the possibility of getting into more actual scuba in the future, purely recreational.

For now, I'm all good. Though considering purchasing the next set of fins I come across at a yard sale. I passed up a couple pairs this past weekend and am kinda kicking myself. The tide only goes one way, and a pair of fins, even small ones, would go a long way toward making Lake Michigan snorkeling more than a one-way adventure.

Thanks again, everybody. :) You're ALL great here.

Mask must seal and fit correctly. Low volume is easier to clear.

Back
Top Bottom