Purchasing and diving from a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you plan to dive with swell or chop, don't get a boat with low freeboard!! Especially one with a fish/dive door or no transom, unless the cockpit is truly sealed. Just too easy to swamp.

I leave my inflatable unattended while diving, all the time, and have never had a problem dragging. A rigid hull over 20' will put a lot more strain on the anchor, but with heavy enough anchor + chain + rope, you can be confident it will hold if you learn when and how to anchor properly, and as mentioned, inspect the anchor set at the start of the dive.

Put out a drift line with a float and dive flag at the end, and maybe a float or two in the middle for visibility.

Go Jap 4 stroke, and no sterndrive if in saltwater. It's always nice to have someone on board at all times, but if not I follow anchor line down and first check anchor for a good hold if not put it in one. After that I don't worry about the boat (key never leaves ign switch). BUT, make sure you DO NOT, when on bottom head down with the current, I always go into current even if only a slight one, thereby returning to boat with current. That way you can use your boat again another day. I have a 22' Panga with non jap motor, it's a light boat and really 4 people and gear it's overloaded have had up to 5 with 9 tanks (some steel) in stormy conditions and the boat does fine but where we are, shade is important so Ttop a must, gps, marine radio, and I built a 5 tank holder then strap other tanks to the 5 if needed. Have a swim ladder hanging off small swim platform (priceless). Panga has low freeboard so some take gear off in water but I just climb out with everything but fins.

Back
Top Bottom